Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Modelers,

This is Revell of Germany’s 1/72 scale U-552 Type VIIC WWII German U-boat I finished in 2005. U-552 was launched on September, 14, 1940. It had a very successful career and at one time was commanded by Erich Topp (one of the most successful U-boat captains to survive the war). U-552 was scuttled on May 2, 1945 to prevent capture by the Allied forces. The color selection came from an article off the www.u-boat.net website.

Listed below are the modifications/additions that were made:

>An Eduard photo-etched detail set was used-

>Fishing line was used for the rigging details-

This was great kit to build and it really went together well. I believe it one of the best submarine kits available. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Phillip1

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice job and as the others have said you got a great finish on the sub. I like the display stand you made. The light color of the wood contrasts/shows off the dark sub very well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very nice work! The shaded paint apps and weathering look top notch.

I have this kit in my stash, as well as the 1/72 Gato, and hope to build them in the near future.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone,

Thanks for the compliments on my model. They are appreciated. I understand Revell of Germany is about to re-relase the this model, which is great for anyone who didn't get a shot at it the first time.

Phillip1

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the compliments.

For anyone interesting in building a Type VII U-Boat (any scale), I highly recommend an artcile written by Dougie Martindale titled "Kriegsmarine U-Boat Colors and Markings". You can google it on the internet. It is a very detailed and well researched report. It includes color chips, photos and color drawings. Unfortunately German U-Boats (much like American Fleet submarines) had alot color variations, so it best to try to find a photo of the subject you want to build. It was easy to get the colors right on my model because U-552 was famous and alot of photos were taken of it. Also, the article mentions U-552 specifically. I really did not know much about U-Boat colors when I stated the kit, but that article contained everything I needed. For those who use Model Master paints (like me) the colors on my submarine are listed below:

>Model Master 1728 Light Ghost Gray (Conning tower and upper hull)

>Model Master 2101 Anthracite Gary (Hull below the waterline)

>Model Master 1788 Euro Gray (Deck sections on hull and conning tower)

Thanks

Phillip1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts