Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow Modelers,

Attached are photos of my 31” (approx. 1/69 scale) resin Disney Nautilus model built in 2002. I bought the kit from a company called Sci-fi Matters, although the pattern was made by Scott Brodeen. The parts had great detail, but required a good deal of “elbow grease” to achieve a proper fit. A lot of minor repairs were required to fix scratches in the hull castings, and I wound up replacing over 1,000 rivets lost during sanding. The finish was achieved by first mixing a dark brown for the base color per the kit instructions. Bright rust was then airbrushed at random over the hull. Black pastel dust was applied in the recesses at add depth, then buffed out with a very soft cloth). Finally, Model Master Dark Ghost Gray was dry brushed over all of the sharp edges to bring out the details. The Disney Nautilus is truly one of the coolest looking submarines ever designed.

P. Gore

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Very nicely done.

I've got one of Jim Key's 31" Nautilus kits which I've yet to build (it's essentially the same Brodeen-patterned Nautilus as the one shown here).

Seeing your sub makes me want to pull my kit off the shelf and get busy.

Superior work.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments. Yes, there is a small gap where the raker connects to the deck-which should not be there.

P. Gore

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Beautiful finish, I'll shamelessly copy your techniques when I get around to repainting my X-plus Nautilus!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts