Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings fellow modelers,
Attached are photos of my ERTL 22” U.S.S. Enterprise finished in May of this year. To help make the model more accurate I used DML’s after-market resin set, two different decal sets from JT Graphics and Creature Art’s clear warp engine front caps. I think this kit is much more accurate than ERTL’s 1966 18” offering, but still has many incorrect features that required a good bit of work to correct. Mating up the “cut-a-way” sections was also a chore.

I used Model Master paints almost exclusively and they did not have an “out of the bottle” color I was happy with for the base color. Therefore, I made my own by using two Model Master Grays (Model Master Light Ghost Gray/1728-23% and Model Master Light Gray/1732-77%). Weathering was added by randomly airbrushing several different gray washes, as well as using light-brown and medium-gray pastel dust. Several light coats of Future were applied at 50psi to seal the decals and give the model an overall satin finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is a fine piece of work there. I know from experience the trials that you have to go through with this kit. Congratulations on the saucer section particularly, the grid, rust ring and weathering are perfect!
Excellent work sir!

Clactonite

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Freakin' Cleeeeeean! Nice!!!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Aye, she's a beauty for sure! Great job on a kit that's a biyatch to build and detail.
. . . I think this kit is much more accurate than ERTL’s 1966 18” offering, but still has many incorrect features that required a good bit of work to correct.
Just to be anal-retentive, the original Enterprise kit was first issued in 1967, and by AMT, not Ertl. Ertl didn't acquire the company until 1981.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Besides what some one else said, about an impressive clean build, you also did an outstanding job with the warp engine domes. Very effective!

Or as Spock would say: Fascinating.

Mr. Scott's looking down smiling.

Hal9001-

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mein gott!!! Amazing work, you've done a perfect job fillinf the seams on the "cutaway" portions. I need to either finish mine or buy a new one although I know mine will never be up to snuff with this one around ;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Super clean and nice. Weathering perfectly subtle. Goes to show you what a great build can be, even with no lights. Can you please post a head-on frontal and tail-on rear view? Wonderful pics, by the way. Nice camera work. Permission to use as screen saver??
I don't know, I'll just will always love the original.........COOL!!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
What can I say...........................
I am totally in awe!
Absolutely gorgeous! I know how much of a pain in the backside this 22" can be. And you made it look like a work of art.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Something to be proud of.:D:cool::D
-Jim
P.S.
PM sent.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow!!! One of the most amazing TOS E's I have ever seen. A excellent example of artistry. While fantasizing about a 1/350 TOS E I guess I can try to emulate this fantastic work now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fellow Modelers,

Thank you for the very kind words concerning my 22" Enterprise. Most of you know that fans of the Enterprise-TOS have not been given much to work with in the 18" and 22" AMT/ERTL kits. Building either is truly a "labor of love". Feel free to use the images however you would like.

Phillip Gore

1 - 20 of 22 Posts