Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was able to pick up most of the Aurora re-issues a couple of years ago. I'm 38 and I also grew up on the Aurora Glow series. I guess will all want to feel that excitement we once had as a kids. One I didn't see is the Phantom of The Opera Long Box. When did PL re-issue this one?

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before so I appologise in advance, but do you think the Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde will ever be re-issued?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
yourgos said:
Hello Everyone,

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before so I appologise in advance, but do you think the Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde will ever be re-issued?

Thanks for your help!
Check out number six in the PL FAQ above. That should answer your last question! :)

Brad.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Welcome to the BB.

Q 6: Will Polar Lights be re-issuing the Aurora Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde
Kit?

Polar Lights has stated before that this kit is not currently in the plans for re-issue. The kit was not one of Aurora's finest efforts, is not one of the Universal Movie monsters, and does not represent the movie version of the characters.
It has too limited an appeal to make it commercially viable.

This is on a thread at the top of the forum.

As far as Polar Lights Phantom of the Opera...this was a completely new sculpt and does NOT look like the Aurora one. Cinemodel did a long box re-pop in 1994? and Revell/Monogram had one out just recently in a bigger box.
If you are like I am...look on e-bay for a Revell/Monogram that you can build. If you are collecting the long box type...look for a Cinemodel version there as well. those are tougher to find.

MMM

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hi Yourgos!

As you probably know, Revell actually shot some of the kits from the original Aurora molds for Polar Lights. For whatever reason, Revell declined to do the Phantom for PL, which led to speculation that Revell was intending to reissue that particular kit themselves. As we've seen, that wasn't the case...

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts
Whaddaya mean, "Not a Universal Monster"?

MonsterModelMan said:
...The kit was not one of Aurora's finest efforts, is not one of the Universal Movie monsters, and does not represent the movie version of the characters. MMM
Arrr...that one has always burnt me up. It's clear to me that the model was sculpted to represent Mr. Hyde as he appeared in Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which was in fact a Universal Studios production. Of course, the box art was based on the makeup worn by Frederic March in the Paramount version of the character.

Here's a comparison between the A & C movie Hyde (sorry I didn't have time to find a larger image) and the kit:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
welcome aboard Yourgos . a company called Retroresin has put out a repro of Dr. J . not sure if it's still available though . i got one a while back after PL said there was no chance they'd do one .
i had an original BU but i wanted one to modify .
hb

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,044 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
All,

Don't forget that Monsters in Motion will be releasing Jeff Yagher's sculpt from the Aurora long box Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde box art sometime early next year. This is number 3 in the series, with the first two being the Phantom and Wolf Man respectively.

Dr. G.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts