Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Really? It's all for fun and they are toys. There are VERY few exceptions since 1980 that are worth $5.00 over what you paid for them so don't be so full of yourself and except it for what it is.
Just went back and read the last few lines. One lady I work with has cancer and I have worked with her for 2 years. Didn't find out until 2 days ago. SHE IS THAT POSITIVE!!!. If you can't find your favorite toy to display (we all like to do it it, me too!) just enjoy what you are doing. Whether it is toy cars, building, woodwork, just BE HAPPY!! Guaranteed any MF here only has max 100 years, so make it worth it!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
for me, don't take very serious about this collecting hobby.
if you see nice car and affordable than just buy it.
if not, maybe another time :)

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Time and gas are very expensive, there is no real "Cash Profit" in chasing down cars for resale. I did it for years just for fun and to meet up with friends and enjoy the hobby as intended. Im retired from that now although do check the pegs if Im at a store for some other reason.

Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's interesting how often this subject comes up on various forums.

In any hobby there are going to be peoplewho are jerks and are just in it to make money.

I buy and sell other collectibles for profit but diecast cars is one area whee I have not made a profit. That's OK, it's still fun.

Even in the areas where I view it as more of a business, like musical instruments, vintage furniture, etc., I still like to keep my prices reasonable.

I like to buy a $1,000 item for $300 and resell it for $800 or so. I've made some money and someone else got a great deal.

We have a diecast scalper in my city who will bend andy ip the blister cards on what ver he can't afford to buy and that really irks me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm happy enough to see other people having lucky finds. Good luck and more power to 'em I say, some of the videos are fun to watch.
But my reason for re-starting this collecting malarkey is more to do with testing the cars abilities than the actual collection. As long as they appeal to my preference for something reasonably realistic, I'll buy it, even at a car boot or garage sale. I mean, Twin Mill may be a fantasy car, reproduced full scale years later with 16.5 liters of mad motors installed, but it is definitely a great design!
My job is in prescision machining, and if I have to apply that to a used model to make it roll again, so be it. ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I read through this entire thread and one thing no one seems to mention is the possibility that Collecting can lead to Hoarding. I love to sit down and admire my diecast but I have way more than I can display. It's not always about money.

If I don't find the TH's or Limited Editions it doesn't matter to me, I just chalk it up as something I never found and move on. If I do go online to search for something it usually an item that was available at retail years ago before I collected.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I read through this entire thread and one thing no one seems to mention is the possibility that Collecting can lead to Hoarding. I love to sit down and admire my diecast but I have way more than I can display. It's not always about money.

If I don't find the TH's or Limited Editions it doesn't matter to me, I just chalk it up as something I never found and move on. If I do go online to search for something it usually an item that was available at retail years ago before I collected.
I dont look for th. They dont interest me at all. I also dont collect mainlines except for movie series like fast and furious. I fail to see the appeal for many collectors. There are collectors that drive half a dozen or more stores every day looking for these th or even mainlines that they know collectors are eager about.Thats an obssession when it gets to that point. An obssession mostly of ebay hoarders looking to making an extra buck or two a car. The funny thing is it wastes time, gas as amounts wear and tear on the vehicle. In the end these ebay hoarders have gained nothing and true collectors who collect for asthetics have lost. Its rather silly and embarassing to see middle aged men asking young store clerks if they can go back and check for them (within massive amounts of toy inventory) for a particular casenof hot wheels. I have actually seen this. NEW FLASH.....if the shelf is full the clerk is not going to dig for you he/she has other stuff to do. Even if its not full they have more important things to stock than 99 cent toys.

So i really do not sympathize or have any tolerance with people like that. They are not really making money to help sustain their lives. They may think they are but they arent.

Now regular hoarders like yourself???LOL. Well most start out for the fun and eventually get obssessed with collecting and buy every single week. I will admit to buying all the first releases of Aw When i first started collecting. At that point i said to myself...."Dont get obssessed with this" I didnt and happily my collection only amounts to a couple hundred after about two years.Ones i can display and they are unique. I dont want 30 different colors of the same car. Most collectors here are grown men and all should be at the age of self control. No amount of buying these things is going to make or break their lives or make them immortal. I mean if one likes hoarding them and knows the realities of it down the road fine. But the ones who dont realize they are doing it need to get a reality check.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I dont look for th. They dont interest me at all. I also dont collect mainlines except for movie series like fast and furious. I fail to see the appeal for many collectors. There are collectors that drive half a dozen or more stores every day looking for these th or even mainlines that they know collectors are eager about.Thats an obssession when it gets to that point. An obssession mostly of ebay hoarders looking to making an extra buck or two a car. The funny thing is it wastes time, gas as amounts wear and tear on the vehicle. In the end these ebay hoarders have gained nothing and true collectors who collect for asthetics have lost. Its rather silly and embarassing to see middle aged men asking young store clerks if they can go back and check for them (within massive amounts of toy inventory) for a particular casenof hot wheels. I have actually seen this. NEW FLASH.....if the shelf is full the clerk is not going to dig for you he/she has other stuff to do. Even if its not full they have more important things to stock than 99 cent toys.

So i really do not sympathize or have any tolerance with people like that. They are not really making money to help sustain their lives. They may think they are but they arent.

Now regular hoarders like yourself???LOL. Well most start out for the fun and eventually get obssessed with collecting and buy every single week. I will admit to buying all the first releases of Aw When i first started collecting. At that point i said to myself...."Dont get obssessed with this" I didnt and happily my collection only amounts to a couple hundred after about two years.Ones i can display and they are unique. I dont want 30 different colors of the same car. Most collectors here are grown men and all should be at the age of self control. No amount of buying these things is going to make or break their lives or make them immortal. I mean if one likes hoarding them and knows the realities of it down the road fine. But the ones who dont realize they are doing it need to get a reality check.
I agree with quite a bit of what you said. I've pretty much figured out the way the two Wal-Mart's and the one Target near me work. I'll typically make a run to one of the Wal-Mart's every Saturday when I get off work and normally only hit up the Target once a month. I don't go for the fantasy cars unless it's a TH or part of a set like the recent camo set. I usually don't care about getting different colors of each car with a few exceptions. If it's a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette I'll get all the different colors I can find. There have been a few others that I got different colors of simply because I happen to like that particular car. I've been collecting for almost a year and I have just over 100 so far although about 40 or so of those are the Star Wars releases from this year. I'm a Star Wars junkie so I can't pass those up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When i first started looking at Hot wheels years ago, i was just looking for the Th and supers, unless i came across a cobra, at first it was about the resell, was going to hold on to them for that reason, But as time went by and started to do more research into hot wheels i been changing the way i think of them, Yes i still hunt for the Th and supers but dont make a trip for that reason if am in walmart i go and look, for them, but also look for others, over this past year i see as something to own and display and be proud of the them in a diff way ( if that makes since) , it keeps me busy, being a Disabled Vet with PTSD, i need something like this to keep me doing something, it is a cheap hobby unlike my others. i dont know something told me i need this and needed to be part of it for some reason. Yes i changed the way i look at hot wheels and glad that i did.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

My how a year changes MY perspective. I do now collect a few mainlines. I don't want or need every color but I like unique and different tampos so that's what I go for. Love the racing tampos.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i would like share a different perspective.
after +- 2 years participate in hobbytalk forum, i found, some people can be say arrogant.
collecting hotwheels, is not a cheap hobby. maybe very few people stick to mainline or $1 each car, just like me.

For those who are lucky to have better financial condition, perhaps not say a bad thing to someone that are not as lucky as you in term of financial condition.

To be bless to have financial status is not mean can judge anyhow other people that is not rich as you.

Even you get your financial status by your own hardworking(not from pass down from parent), is it nice to say other people poor and should not do this and that by your own judgement?

earth is round, something goes up for sure will go down :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts