Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always i sit down with newbees to toss some speed their way but lately i've been hearing alot of talk about price of ambrc transponders which some tracks require to race. I know 2 years ago 50$ was ok but money i tighter now for most everyone and its hard for people to fork the 80$ they are selling for now. This is a local price and i havent checked around for a better price but how are we supposed to get racing numbers up with a company that corners a market than jabs a guy in the process. I guess its just hard to sell someone something for 80$ and doesnt make them faster. Most new poducts slowly creep down in $ what gives.

·
Registered
716 Posts
As usual and put bluntly, AMBit doesn't care about us (racers), they care about making money.

The fix? Someone needs to release a GOOD transponder system besides AMBit. It seems as though AMBit has some unduplicated technology...or something. Or too much money...

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
AMB isn't alone... I have an Orion LCS system I use for timing my oval practice runs... I had a "transponder" die and it cost $49 to replace... I took the dead one apart.. It's a plug with wires to the receiver, an external LED to trigger the counter, and ONE small chip... Probably cost $5 to make...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I contacted AMB about this, and this issue is the exchange rate. The products are made and Europe and right now the Euro is stronger than the dollar.

The $50 a few years ago was a special one time introductory rate and AMB made that clear.

Its not all that expensive if you thing about the fact that you never really have to purchase another one and you can use it at any track.

I know there is small discount if a club or shop purchase a bunch all at one time so you might want to see if there are enough newbies such that the shop can call and get a discount. the details are on the website but you need to call AMB for the specifics.

I luck out at the tracks that I go to because I can use my own or borrow for the race -- might want to see if the shop keep will help out

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
The issue isnt with die hard racers its with someone who is thinking about starting racing. A transponder costs as much as an entry level kit in some instances.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You'll have a hard time convincing me that the cost to make the personals is the same now as when they started several years ago. The exchange rate is only an excuse. There's no way that the personals cost $25 or more to make and that would be giving 100% markup for AMB and the distributors.

The cost of these transponders is just plain rediculous.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
What I don't understand is MAKING people buy the PTs to run at the track. We have "public rechargeable transponders" that people can use if they don't have a personal transponder. I can't see making our racers spend $80 just to race at our track. If you ask me it is just good business practice to have at least 10 rechargable transponders available if there are those that don't have the PTs. The initial investment to the track is more but trust me, it is well worth it and paid off rather quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
$80.00 is not that much to pay for a device like AMB personal transponder. I look at it this way; 1. Convenience, you don't have to keep running back & fort to the tech table for your transponder. 2. Lightweight, you can use the extra weight saved on other things for the benefit of your car. 3. Aethetic, no more holes in the windshield, body clips & squirly half round scratches too. 4. Re-usable to all type of races. Last but not the least....peace of mind that your car will count all the time and you have the correct transponder number on the lap-counter. :thumbsup:

:roll:

·
Registered
340 Posts
SlipNSlide said:
I contacted AMB about this, and this issue is the exchange rate. The products are made and Europe and right now the Euro is stronger than the dollar.

The $50 a few years ago was a special one time introductory rate and AMB made that clear.

Its not all that expensive if you thing about the fact that you never really have to purchase another one and you can use it at any track.

I know there is small discount if a club or shop purchase a bunch all at one time so you might want to see if there are enough newbies such that the shop can call and get a discount. the details are on the website but you need to call AMB for the specifics.

I luck out at the tracks that I go to because I can use my own or borrow for the race -- might want to see if the shop keep will help out
By taking the value of the US $ vs the Euro 2 years ago and comparing to now, the PT should cost 69 US$. Let`s say that the introduction rebate was 10$, well, then the 80$ price tag makes sense! When you live in Canada, you learn to work the exchange rate real fast!!! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess my gripe is that rc numbers in our area are down in all classes and i personally am always trying to keep the sport on the rise. Most shops rent transponders for the night for 2$ which most people starting do but then racing is usually around 12$. This just makes me appreciate the companys that promote the sport over pure financial gain. The board inside the personal transponder costs about 3.30 to make.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I contacted AMB via email about price breaks.'

Here is the response:

" When you order 10 or more AMBrc Personal Transponders, the price drops from $83 to $69 each. You also don’t need to find a shop to purchase them for you; you can get that price yourselves simply by calling us and placing the order for 10.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me either by phone or via email.

Sincerely,

Dave Fried

AMB i.t. US, Inc."

If you can gather enough people, you can call them up directly and get a price break. The price of the transponder in Europe and Asia is about 69 EUR which is about $85.25 USD.

In terms of manufacturing costs, it is only cheap in quantity for material. That does not consider the cost of engineering and sourcing of material and the actual person required to assemble and package the product as well as the cost of keeping offices in several countries. Every person that touches the item is cost. Distribution is cost etc. if you figure that it comes with a three year warranty, you can use it everywhere, you never need to purchase another and it has a resale value vs $80 you spend on two batteries, its not all that expensive. This hobby is expensive and that is a fact.

If you find a few friends, you can lower the cost and there are price breaks the more that you purchase.

·
Registered
703 Posts
More and more tracks are requiring PT's to reduce their losses when people take off and forget to turn the transponders in. Plus it makes it easier on track officials when they don't have to worry abouthanding out transponders and someone getting the wrong one or hearing someone complain that the track transponder missed their lap or counted it slow. Yeah, I've heard them all but the last one about the slow transponder is the best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Transponders here at the shop I work at (and the track I run for them) is $83 dollars right now, we do have public transponders and we had to order about 5 new ones from amb becuse people like to walk off with them. I didnt hear an exact amount but the personals were over $90 bucks for one. Since they are expensive we started taking all the info we can from the guys who use our public transponders, becuase I know one thing, I'm not gonna pay for those things!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the pt's are well worth the money,my lhs sells them for 80.00 and if you keep them in decent shape when your finished with them used ones are bringing like 65.00 so how could you go wrong,no more getting the wrong transponder or getting one that has a low battery!

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Is anyone else having problems with personals?
I have missed laps at 2 tracks now with mine.

And most of the hotshoes at my local track have gotten away from PT's for the same reason.

A buddy of mine was having the problem with running the same exact lap times throughout a 4 minute run. He swapped out everything, reciever, speedo, crystals etc and nothing helped. He unplugged the personal transponder and picked up 4 tenths a second.

·
Registered
13 Posts
An excellent sales point for the PT's is practice time. In one respect a PT can make you faster if you are using it with the practice software. There is nothing that can make you faster in a quicker amount of time, than hearing your lap times during practice sessions.

I agree the cost is outrageous. I have complained to AMB more than once. In fact the last time I ordered I was told there was no longer a quantity discount. Perhaps they have started doing it again, but I know back at the first of the year the discount was not available.

I don't know what makes them tick. But I do know that if it was something easy to duplicate, someone would have done it by now. I remember a guy in the forums last year that was going to build a system, and make the plans available to all at no charge. After about a month he quietly went away. It never happened. I don't know how or what AMB is doing, but I wish I had a piece of the action!

·
Registered
41 Posts
chopperhead said:
An excellent sales point for the PT's is practice time. In one respect a PT can make you faster if you are using it with the practice software. There is nothing that can make you faster in a quicker amount of time, than hearing your lap times during practice sessions.
What PRACTICE SOFTWARE are you refering to? I have yet to know a hobbyshop/race track that leave their AMB lap counting "ON" all the time for practice. I do have the personal transponder and use Orion's personal lap counter for practice.

·
Registered
737 Posts
all of the track that i race at in northern NY still have the older version of AMB scoring system. so the PT's are useless to us. do they make a PT that is compatable with the older system ?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts