Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've run across this with two different AMB personal transponders.

They will miss 3-4 laps in a 50 lap event ?????

Mounted on a fibreglass pan chassis with a square hole cut it chassis so the transponder has a clear view of the track.

Wire under carpet so the distance is less than 1/2 inch above loop.

4 cell car and have tryed in two different reciever ports.

After buying second one seemed to fix problem for a few weeks, now back again ,,,,,hate to buy a 3rd.

Havn't sent back to AMB yet.

Thanks for any input :thumbsup:

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Now that just bad luck or a bad reciever! I would change the reciever then the speed control first before buying another PT. It might also be the servo, I've seen servos do crazy thing you would never think a servo would cause. I would try them in another car. The BEC maybe going bad on the SC.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't recall the signal strength # but they seem plenty strong and then there's no hit ?

How bout wireing that sucker dirrectly to the pos and neg battery leads ??

You'd bypass the bec and reciever .

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Yea that would work. You could get a adapter lead and try that. Doesn't eliminate the servo, but should show if the reciever and SC is good or bad.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I was told to mount the transponder so that the bottom center
of the transponder is not blocked by any graphite or metal chassis.

This can effect singal strength in faster cars.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pt

I had my pt mounted i my radio box of my 1/8 offroad buggy and it worked well, even in a 30 minute main event.

Our Oval track www.carolinarc.com was completely rebuilt in 06 and we laid some high quality wire down as a loop before the black stuff was poured. It works very well with the pts running at the track no matter the chassis material.

Jim Duffle
Carolina RC Complex

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
ran mine in my savage on top of all the radio gear, that is about 6 or 7 inches above the wire that was in the dirt, at least an inch or so there.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
On carpet you have static buildup that tends to mess with the electronics in these cars,it really has nothing to do with signal strength.If there was a problem with signal strength everybody would be having problems.I know humpty was suggesting to place a ground strap from the crossbrace to the floor to help eliminate this problem.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is the loop close to a corner.
it maybe the servo as you go into or out of the corner
with your car turned on and off the ground hit thorttle and steering
at the same time, do this steering in both directions
watch the light on the PT
if it dims the servo is pulling to much power away from the PT
most of the time if its carpet static the car will jump sideways
or glitch.
good luck !!

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
A month ago I had a problem with my PT missing laps after having worked fine the week before. I looked at everything closely and noticed the plug that goes in the receiver looked a little "strange" (don't know how else to describe it). I replaced the connectors and plug with new ones (required a crimp tool for the connectors) and it has worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the general sensus here is leaning away from problems with the PT unit itself ?? :confused:

What I think I'm going to try for next week is to run the neg wire from PT to the neg battery wire on SC and splice the pos. from PT into the SC switch wire so I'm actually bypassing the reciever and SC .

If that fixes it then I'll probably just leave it that way :wave:

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
A guy at our track blew up his GT7 one week so I let him use an old Tempest I had as a spare. His PT missed laps throughout the day when his Brother had used the same PT the week before without any problems. He swithed to another ESC the next week and the problems were gone again. :confused:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like some of these BEC circuits just aren't up to par to run a good servo and power the reciever and PT at the same time. :confused:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you were running a pan car where you solder your batterys in every run I'd suggest to bypass the reciever and solder your PT right to the pos and neg wires.

I won't know untill next week if this fixes the problem but at least it'll have plenty of amps.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The problem is most likely with the BEC circuit in the RX or the ESC. The problem with the PT's and 4-cell is that under load, the RX output voltage to the Pt can drop below it's operational threshold. This is especially true with 4-cell Mod and 19t but can happen if you are running a high amp draw stocker too. You can wire a rx pack and use it to power the PT, be careful wiring the PT to the battery directly, as the PT would be subject to an unregulated power source. (the esc and bec regulate the power thru the RX).

I would notice a lot more issues with PT in the electric classes and especially 4-cell than I did with offroad where the PT was powered directly from a dedicated RX pack.

You must remember that these PT's were designed in Europe where 4-cell racing for the most part doesn't exist. They are either 6-cell offroad or 6-cell TC, not much oval stuff using 4-cell. So the voltage issue wasn't an issue during design.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts