Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I freely admit it: I'm a perfectionist. This unfortunate affliction costs me far too much money. Each car that finds its way onto my shelves represents several others purchased and rejected. I calculate that an acceptable example typically sets me back two or three times its individual price, often more.

Asymetrically applied tampos, casting flaws, non-concentric whitewalls, etc. Horrors! I realize that these are mass-produced and all that, but jeeze. It's reached the point where I'll automatically buy more than one car just to build up a good one. Hot Wheels are particularly difficult but inexpensive enough to bring home multiples and choose the best of the lot. Their flaws seem always to be on the side you can't see through the blister. This practice has resulted in probably fifteen pounds of rejects donated to charity-based thrift shops. If this continues, it'll be me in need of charity, fer cryin' out loud.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Welcome to HobbyTalk!
Perfectionism and Completism seem to be this hobby's big draw backs.
With the economy the way it is and how I view my collection, I would learn how to customize and make the vehicle the way I think it should be.
I know it would be cheaper than the way you are going about it now.
I tried being perfect and found out that I was human and Humans are not perfect. Oh Well!
Again, Welcome!
Richard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tynee Karz,

I feel your pain. I'm the same way. Unfortunately, it cost me more to get the perfect car since my collection are mostly 1:18 scales. I order most of my 1:18 scales cars online and it's not very easy to get the perfect car that way. I received a 69' Boss Mustang that had a little paint chip on the rear quater panel, (not that noticeable) but knowing it's there just bothers me. So I tell myself well I could either return it and look dumb for some little thing that's not even noticeable or just buy another one. Well I always end up buying another and hope to get the perfect car the 2nd time around. So far the second car has always been the perfect one....weird! Anyway, I like to keep them in boxes so the ones I reject I display them in my garage. Collecting 1:18 cars are expensive, throughout my years as a collector I have only had to do this 3 times thank goodness. One was an Autoart 68' Mustang, now that cost me an arm and a leg.:cry: At $100 a piece whoa! It was a good thing the second car I received was perfect.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad I'm not uniquely afflicted. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the examples meeting my standards are highly treasured for their distinction. I just want 'em to look like real cars, and real cars are not cockeyed, sloppily-decorated or noticeably malformed. Well, at least most of them. I've owned a couple of exceptions: There was that horrid....uh, don't even wanna think about it.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
You definitely are not alone. I, on the other hand, refuse to burden myself that way. As long as it's close enough to the intended look, I'm satisfied. That's just a personal choice. I completely understand those who have to have it just right. Collectors are spending a lot of hard-earned money and time. It's reasonable to expect perfection.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I, too, look for realism when I'm selecting a new piece. I look at the proportions of the car to be right and I appreciate the detailing of a JL or GL with painted lights, emblems, etc. My pet peeve is that the manufacturers of "1/64 scale" are most often not true to an exact 1/64 - an M2 or a Jada is much larger than a comparable MB, JL or GL.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I, too, look for realism when I'm selecting a new piece. I look at the proportions of the car to be right and I appreciate the detailing of a JL or GL with painted lights, emblems, etc. My pet peeve is that the manufacturers of "1/64 scale" are most often not true to an exact 1/64 - an M2 or a Jada is much larger than a comparable MB, JL or GL.
Diecast car manufacturers (and I believe most toy manufacturers) adjust the scaling so that the products will all fit into their respective common packaging designs, while still maintaining decent sizes for each casting/toy.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Diecast car manufacturers (and I believe most toy manufacturers) adjust the scaling so that the products will all fit into their respective common packaging designs, while still maintaining decent sizes for each casting/toy.
I see a lot of extra room in each package, don't you? Large trucks are a different story and would require larger packaging, wheels, etc., but with cars remember that proportions may be off by inches and at 1/64, that spare half-inch in the blister pack equates to over 21/2 feet at 1/1.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
The point of this post was perfectionism, so I understand your concern over cross-manufacturer scale consistency. It'll never happen. Heck, scaling won't even be consistent across a company's lineup. IMO, if it looks like the car it's trying to replicate and the proportions are correct, I'm good. The inconsistencies in the different companies designs is one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting. It's all about interpretation. I love comparing each company's take on a specific vehicle.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Alot of people also forget that the 1/64 Cars are targeted for Children to play with them and not so worried about the perfect scale to fit 1/64. Mattel & Matchbox have proven that years ago in the Semi Ramp Trucks or Fire Trucks NOT to scale when wrapped up in the same package as the regular 1/64 Cars BP's. None of the bigger 1/64 Cars are to scale, they are more 1/87 when put near a regular HW Car. So who really has a 1/64 ... Hard to say today when a Manufacture makes Semi Trucks too with there Cars that are close to the same size.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I, too, look for realism when I'm selecting a new piece. I look at the proportions of the car to be right and I appreciate the detailing of a JL or GL with painted lights, emblems, etc.
Would that realism and proper proportions include white tires and underbelly, or green irridescent (sp?) rims?

Just curious...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Alot of people also forget that the 1/64 Cars are targeted for Children to play with them and not so worried about the perfect scale to fit 1/64.

Not all 1:64 scale cars are targeted for children to play with. Many are actually marketed as adult collectibles and strive for realism.... hence the larger price tag over the 99 cent HW and MB cars.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Alot of people also forget that the 1/64 Cars are targeted for Children to play with them and not so worried about the perfect scale to fit 1/64. Mattel & Matchbox have proven that years ago in the Semi Ramp Trucks or Fire Trucks NOT to scale when wrapped up in the same package as the regular 1/64 Cars BP's. None of the bigger 1/64 Cars are to scale, they are more 1/87 when put near a regular HW Car. So who really has a 1/64 ... Hard to say today when a Manufacture makes Semi Trucks too with there Cars that are close to the same size.
Man, I was going to say that exact thing, but I felt I was getting a little long-winded. You must have read my mind.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Not all 1:64 scale cars are targeted for children to play with. Many are actually marketed as adult collectibles and strive for realism.... hence the larger price tag over the 99 cent HW and MB cars.
Realism is not what's in question here. It's consistent scaling among the different manufacturers. What LNL was trying to say is that because most of the toys are marketed at young children, making all the vehicles true 1/64 isn't a concern. The strive for realism is the very reason most of those adult diecast makers are going away. It's why Jada is concentrating more on child-targeted toys and moving out of the adult diecast market. The others will suffer the same fate eventually.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I guess I should of cleared up my last post in more details in what I was
trying to explain.....

Thanks Dragonhead :thumbsup:

Many Corps are not worried about realism to scale when they pump out
Mainline Cars for $1 as they are attended for the Children to play with and
beat up. Look at all the 4x4's - Ramp Trucks - Fire Trucks - Motorcycles.
These Cars next to Regular Car are wrong in size but to a Childs eye they
look Awesome and that's what Mattel looks at.

If you are talking about Jada? these Cars are mostly 1/55 in scale

Most Collectors say that JL is more true to a 1/64 over all the other Corps.

This has been a debate for years in who really has the true 1/64 Car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most Collectors say that JL is more true to a 1/64 over all the other Corps.

This has been a debate for years in who really has the true 1/64 Car.
Everybody is entitled to an opinion, and what is to follow is merely my opinion:

JL does some fine work. A lot of their cars have passable realism, and that is one of the things that draws me to them.

And then they go and spoil that realism with white tires or a white underbelly. And then insult to injury, the same guys who go on about the realism spend tens, and even hundreds of dollars, for something that is very unrealistic.

White body paint and white interior I can understand. I can even understand white *wall* tires. But far too many White Lightnings I find childish, cartoonish and unrealistic. More for others, I know. And I'm fine with that.

Isn't it just the least bit contradictory to praise the realism and then vote with high dollars for the unrealistic versions? Not pointed at anybody, just a general observation...

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Would that realism and proper proportions include white tires and underbelly, or green irridescent (sp?) rims?

Just curious...
There are no white tires or green iridescent rims on anything in my diecast collection. I avoid them entirely. If I like a casting with blue or iridescent green rims I can open up the chrome or black paint to change them. The only cars that i have with white wheels are plastic F&F's that came out of cereal boxes in the '50's and '60's.

Our collections all vary, I'd say, to suit our individual tastes. Nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I'm with ya all the way... But over the years I've chilled out a little... I've learned to accept minor flaws on some castings... Especially in the GLs and upper priced cars... I don't find to many GL flaws, but when I do I will buy it anyway until I find another one or repair it... They dissappear from the pegs pretty quick so sometimes ya got to take what you can get... But when I do find another one of the same casting I purchased with a flaw, I will return the flawed one to the store for a refund or exchange !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts