Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for ideas on what everyone thinks on track sizes. Keep in mind
this is gonna be indoor on CRC carpet.

Also would like to know infield diminsions to see on corner sizes.

Thank's Eric Knapp

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
The most fun tracks ive been on are between 100 and 130 runline with mid to tight turns.. Mainly refered to as bull rings.. The average tracks seem to be in the 150 runline range. you get tight racing, but still comfortable.... The biggest carpet track ive been on is about 200-210.. was nice for passing with nice wide turns..

All of the tracks ive gone to try to make them as big as there space allows.. Pretty much make use of whatever space you can afford to give up.. If your track is going to be taken down and setup every week, to big makes it a hassle..

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
How about an indoor, high banked concrete tri-oval. The track should be about 250' long with progressive banking and 3 different radius corners. Also heating coils should be under the track for the most consistent track surface possible.

Now back to reality! What kind of track were you thinking about? I'll assume flat carpet oval. When it comes to flat carpet I prefer a bigger track, maybe 175 to 180', with somewhat wide corners. If you ever raced at Trackside in Brookfield, WI, I liked that track layout. Bigger tracks are easier for less expereinced guys to get around and they allow more passing opportunities for the experienced guys to actually race each other cleanly. All the flat carpet tracks nowadays are basically the same thing. What would be really run is running a a true tri-oval or having corners with significantly different radii. That would really show who can setup a car and drive. Unfortunately it isn't too space effificient in buildings.

Now if you are talking about any type of track then I think flat ashphalt "parking lot" type tracks are the most fun. Unfortunately outside of Florida there is not much of this type of racing anymore.

If you're talking cap tire tracks it is very dependent on the surface whether the track will be fun. If you tear tires every run the track won't be fun. If the track is too much of a paper clip shape guys will be trashing their cars on the outside wall and it won't be fun. Also a grass infield cuts down the fun factor by 50%. Cap tire racing on the right track is awesome and on a bad track it sucks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's so far for the input.

Mike Valentine don't think its gonna be in your 1 hour window sorry

Thank's Burbs

Pat Sorry not a millionaire or I would build a track similar to what you
were talking about.

Looking at or around 145-165 foot runline similar in style to HALO Hobbies
flat carpet with same style ends.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
for flat carpet try and make the infield as wide as possible At least 12', preferably 16' wide... I hate running on paperclips. 8' or less is just too tight. Unless the track is only 100-120'

The birds is the biggest race of the year. they must be doing something right.
I believe its 16' wide infield with about a total of 170-180' runline depending on who you talk to and which year. This year's track was a little longer from what I read.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank's Sonny Hopefully if everything works out myself and a couple

of others will have it in place for the start of the next carpet season

hint hint about a BRL race......lol lol

Have a great time this weekend wish I could've made it to the finals

Eric

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You sure you don't mean PLAINFIELD Indiana :p

I like bigger tracks like Cinci, 'Birds and New castle, but I think tracks more similar to Ft. Wayne provide for "learning" better in both driving and tuning.

I'm sure with you involved it will be well planned. Good luck.

dk

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's Dusty and Plymouth, Plainfield sounds similar don't you think? lol

I hope all goes as planned and we can get up and going and we can get

some of the Indy hot shoes to make the drive.

Talk to you soon good luck this weekend

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
EMK,

It's not the size of the track to me, it's the ability to race the track.

I prefer a track with WIDE lanes. From the center of the corners apex to the wall - 15 - 18 ft is awesome. 12 - 15 is good. 8 - 12 gets a little tight for me.

Same deal on the straights. Keep it wide enough guys have room to 'get out of the way' w/o being driven over.

Using ICE in the corners and a single barrier up the center actually allows the lanes to feel wide w/o giving up any room. My favorite barrier material. 3" x 3" PVC 'Downspout' from the local rain gutter supply house. (Not rain gutter...but Square DOWNSPOUT, it's perfectly SQUARE and easy to make couplers to fasten it together. Comes in 10' lengths. EASY on CARS - No FLIGHT when hitting it (like a road rail does)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I agree with swtour that making the barriers car friendly makes any track more enjoyable. I've been to the current track in Plymouth and I had fun, but it really has an unforgiving infield.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
just some scheduling ideas ! just about everybody in the state races on saturday would be nice to see somebody race on friday night or sunday for us pancar guys i know some us would make the trip. goodluck getting it started

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
We already have a place to race on Friday's in Elkhart. Saturdays are not usually good for most of us. I would agree on Sunday. Who really cares about the size it's a place to race.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts