Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm eager to see this model which has appeared in the Pegasus catalogue for years now. Maybe there was a preview at a show recently, but can anyone say if this kit is due out this year? :confused:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I would be curious too. I didn't know about this kit and looked it up. Very cool and looks to be fun to build. My only concern will be the price. It looks very expensive.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts

It's a great kit that will be well worth it's price. The only issue I have with it is the design of the understructure - the landing gear has very little room for vertical movement and the narrow spacing of the pads make the craft look like it would easily topple over on rough ground.

The SF modelers will have fun with it nonetheless. Somebody should produce a set of astronauts for it.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,374 Posts
If it was 6", I'd be in. Got no room for it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This kit has always seemed like some sort of an enigma to me. So many unusual decissions. It was designed by Randy Cooper which is cool. It's loosely based on the 2001/2010 films design philosophy, which is cool. It's a large kit with tons of detail, that's cool as well. But, why make such a big kit, that's not a replica, and that will cost so much?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
IIRC it also has a detailed interior cabin as well.
It is a fun design and a big size for those who clamor for large kits- I would love one myself. Big problems are room to display it and I can buy several other kits I want for what it costs.

I really do like Pegasus choosing to release not only kits from old iconic movies but unique subjects that just look cool.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I agree Richard, I applaud Pegasus for releasing some of the best scifi kits over the last several years. I hope they continue with releasing great kits that we probably would never see from one of the "Big" companies.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If it is in the $125 price range, it would seem to be a fair deal for a kit this size and complexity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just saw a build-up on display today. The finished model is the size of a basketball. (except for clear parts) all cast in light gray--I thought there would be other colors. Anyway, it looks impressive.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Although this looks like a nice kit I can't help thinking Pegasus have made a mistake making it so big.

I'm all for big kits where appropriate (especially big kits of big ships like the Galactica or USS Valley Forge) but they could have done this half that size or even smaller. I'm not also someone who usually moans about the price of plastic kits as they're very expensive to produce but because it's so big it makes it quite expensive too.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
This kit has always seemed like some sort of an enigma to me. So many unusual decissions. It was designed by Randy Cooper which is cool. It's loosely based on the 2001/2010 films design philosophy, which is cool. It's a large kit with tons of detail, that's cool as well. But, why make such a big kit, that's not a replica, and that will cost so much?

If it was say a replica of the 2001 Aries for instance I think most people wouldn't have a problem with it being bigger but as you say it's not a replica of any established ship even.

Still it's made now so that's the way it is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.