Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
When the regular version is white and the WL is pearl, such as the HIM Duster, they are REALLY difficult to tell apart, even when side by side. As Puppycat said, you have to play the light off them to see the pearl sparkle. IMO seems like some of the cars that had white and then pearl WL or vice versa, like the American Glory Bel Air and the Galaxie weren't quite so hard to tell apart. That Duster was a toughie!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
travis1960 said:
Can a "pearl white" car not be a white lightning?
Yes, two of the Street Freaks releases (R16 & R17) had a flat white WL vs. a few pearl white regulars. R17 had a white over green pickup truck and R16 had a '62 Chevy American Glory that the regular issues were pearl and the WLs were flat white. Very uncommon for it to be done this way, but it can be done!

·
Mustang Collector
4,090 Posts
Yup. One of the Street Freaks Series has a Chevy Pickup that was pearl white. The WL version was gloss white. That one fooled alot of people.

Here is the regular which is pearl white.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I ask is I picked up my second new package car. I got it because the wheels & tires are dead on perfect. Just beautiful. Don't really care for the casting, but with me, the wheel/tire combo can "make" or "break" a car. And this one was "made" with the wheel/tire choice.

It is the Pony Power '72 Pontiac Firebird, which is white. I can't tell if it is pearl, or just glossy. If it were a white lightning, I wouldn't open it, but put it up for trade for those who collect these. If it is not a white lightning it will be opened. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Check ebay to see if any WL's of it are listed ... The WL may have white wheels or interior .. A pearl White car should have sparkle to it , when the light reflects off it . Because that Firebird is a 'stock' vehicle , it shouldnt be pearl white as a regular version . The other Pony Power cars from that set - the Mustang & Javelin were pearl white for the WL versions ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts