Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago John Mears called me from Bakersfield and asked if I could build an open wheel NASCAR Whelen type modified for the Tomy Turbo and Super G+ car. He sent me a picture of a car that ran at Mesa Marin in the late 1990's that was perfect and looked pretty simple to build.

I started looking at the Tomy Turbo chassis that some of you sent me, and at the G-Jet that Mike King sent and discovered that the finished car would also fit that chassis. Having an old Turbo chassis in my box I found the SPEC wheels and tires that John will be using in his series and set to work. From the very beginning I wanted something low slung and real looking, and the 94' Mustang modified in the picture was a good model.

As I always do I boxed in the chassis and got the general shape of the rear end and front end. I have to take some general liberties with the roof line and rear spoinler because of the shape of this chassis; it's quite a bit wider than the MT/XT chassis I've been building on. But by making the top lower and the spoiler smaller it worked out well. I think I nailed the roofline of the Mustang nearly perfect.

The pictures John sent showed the top slightly offset to the right, and the engine offset to the left. I decided not to do this mainly because most of the Whelen cars I've seen only had offset suspensions, not engine and drive train. John's group is a detail oriented bunch, they tend to make little neft bars for their cars so I'll give them plenty of space on the side of the body to have the bars go through. I also will be using the body tabs on the Turbo chassis as a mount, although the Super G+ and G-Jet cars will have to use 2-sided tape.

As you can see the car looks longer because it's lower. Lower, in fact, than a Super G+ Formula car is.

I have some minor sanding and shaping to do but essentially it's complete. I'll do a test draw, make sure it fits the chassis and then send some test pop's to John for his approval. If he likes it his Turbo series starts in May. John's a great guy, to develop this mold and to make 25 cars he paid me $100 which will go a long way to getting stuff for my 500 coming up the end of May. But I made sure he would allow a general release at the same time so you G-Jet guys and Tomy drivers can finally get a modified designed for your cars.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pardon the crudeness of this tester...I never claim to be a great painter but this is a very early shot of the test car.

This is on a Tomy Turbo chassis, and it's very low indeed.

I ran some quick test laps, checking for rubs, and so far so good. There's a couple things I'll adjust, I'll shorten the radiator intake to about half of where it is now, and the tab locators will also be located better so they will be where the chassis tabs are. I'm digging for some small paper clips so I can make my own nerf bars on the car I'll build up.

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Looks good and fast Pete, should make for a really good racer.

Coach

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the bending of a paper clip and a little expoy...viola! The DeWALT Tools #17 Matt Kenseth Whelen Modified. Sort of.

This is how John's series cars will look. They may also have front and rear nerf bars as well, I'm just not that talented enough to make those.

·
Registered
807 Posts
can you smell it..

Looks cool Pete.. :thumbsup:
Very,very cool to be that. You can almost smell the racin fuel. I like the different asphault cars there is. Just as cool as dirt.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cool Pete,
Your west cost Mods look a lot more aerodynamic than the IMCA, and UMP mods we have here in Indiana.

They run IMCA's on dirt and pavement here, but both use the same "Dirt" type body, and the same width tires for both.
UMP's run dirt only but have more powerfull engines... No Claimer Rule.

Keep up the GREAT WORK :thumbsup:
ZIG

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Nice...

I do have a question or two...
And after looking at the master that you made I was surprised on a couple of things..
1) I wasn't expecting the cut outs for the chassis tabs. From the master pic I was expecting the body to clip over that chassis tabs.
2)I wasn't expecting the whell cut outs either. From the master I was expecting the body to snap over the axles as well.. Would there be too much interference with the wheels & tires for this? I realize that one of the features of the body is easy removal...
Scott

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott, the body tabs deal is a matter of vacuform practicality. Remember I have to remove the mold from the formed body, and getting a raised area such as a tab pocket would be difficult. The only reason you can get a body over the tabs on the chassis is because cutting allows some flexibility. As far as the full body John's series allows more than just the 1 5/16th" width so he can actually have the body for a full chassis cover. He would have to either make holes for his nerf bars or cut away sections to allow them to stick out. From my understanding the bars on their cars are epoxied into place. The tab issue is only an issue on the cars with the chassis tabs. Super G+ cars have no tabs on the chassis since the tabs for that type of body are on a seperate piece. There the body can remain intact on the sides.

Zig, the cars that used to run at Mesa Marin were the NASCAR Weekend Series cars that were very similar to the Whelen All American modifieds. The picture John faxed me was a car he crewed on about 10 years ago and was a '94-'98 Mustang style body. If I could paint better I'd try to mock one up but I'll leave that to him. Orignally the body was to have a big Outlaw style wing above the top and a nose wing but I talked him out of that. When I live in Porterville (about an hour and a half south of Fresno) we raced IMCA's on the 1/4 mile dirt track there, in Tulare and in Hanford. I didn't care much for the series because the contingency money sucked and there was huge political hurdles every year with registration and rules.

In any event I'm going to build a custom can motored Turbo for his series, BSRT makes a series of them for $38, it's just knowing which one to get now. I have some brass piano wire to make some really nice nerf bars, and some sticky silicones I've been just waiting for a special project for.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This will be the last project to be featured here. I am not a commercial business, more like a cottage industry sort of deal. I had hoped that I could feature my stuff for sale but that's obviously not going to happen without paying this site for that privlidge. So that's obviously not going to happen. I don't see selling enough product to recoup the cost of the "license". It's just not worth it for me.

I'd like to thank all of those who have shown an interest in my stuff in the past. And I really want to thank all of those who donated cars and parts to my Little 500 event, believe me everything that has been sent will find a home with an appreciative child. I have the addresses of all those who contributed and you will be mailed the results after the race along with any pictures taken.

If you have a project you would like to have done you can e-mail me and I'll see what I can do. But it's time for me to seek friendlier turf.

Thanks!
Petey McKay
AMG Racing

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Pretty durn slick Pete, I'm likin' the open wheeled carnage possibilities. Please send me four and a bill after you've met your obligations. :thumbsup:

As for your decision I'm not worried, A three hundred pound dude limping on one good wheel with a slot-troller in his hand should be easy to find. Especially when he's trying to sell me a Ford! :p

Thanks for the great ride Pete! :wave:

Bill

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I dont see why you couldnt just post your prototype projects and leave the sales aspect to your site pete...

Showing the "how to" is more than a sales gimmick...it's a service to the readers and modifiers of these little gems...

And frankly...with the work you've been doing for the kids in your area...And the help you've had from members here...you not being here will not only effect you....

Something to mull over...

I have links to the site for purchases...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm over on Slot Car Illustrated now. A lot of the members here are members over there as well I think, those that aren't can find me there. I have some more stuff planned in the future.

Bill, last minute alterations are being made, you, Marty and Mike King are on my priority list.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scott, you got me thinking about those tab pockets. So I went and popped an uncut body onto a chassis with the axles taken out and the tabs fell right into cut outs on the body. I used two laminations of .015 thick plastic to make those cut outs, I added a third lamination and that should be deep enough to contain the tab completely and hold the body secure. By punching the front axle holes through the body I think that would be all the securment this thing is going to need.

I'm going to draw John's cars today so he can come get them this evening. If I've counted my remaining plastic sheets correctly I'll have enough for 18 extras if I don't screw any up. You Sea-Tac guys, give me one person to send your cars to so I can save a little postage and I'll get them out to you in the mail tomorrow. Scott, since you helped me out with the tab idea PM me your addy and I'll get a few out to you too if you want them.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Pete, I'd probably send it to Mike King or Bill Hall since I think they have been the ones talking with you the most. I know I'll see them at some point and they'd better share.... =)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK Marty, Bill if you don't mind this will go to Mike, there's 4 for each of you plus a new sprinter for each of you.

I can't repeat what John said about the car here or I'd be banned for sure. But here's a close edited version" Hot s#!*! [email protected]^*! That thang looks like it's hauling @$$ just sitting on the track!" Thanks to Scott's suggestion those tab pockets work perfect, and by threading the front axle through the body it holds it very secure. In a race of length you can pop the body off the tabs like a hood, oil whatever and pop it back and away you go.

This is definately the lowest profile body I have ever done. Height of the roofline above the tires is about 4mm. The body sits right on the top deck of the car.

John's getting his 25 cars, I made 4 each for the SEATAC guys, 4 for Scott and I wound up with 6 extra after using one for a mounting tester. Martin hasn't seen this car yet but he's going to flip I think since he's a huge NASCAR modified fan. Sometime after the middle of the month I will be making more sports fans...

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
looking good!

now i have to bribe bill to paint some of em for me!

lets see, if i have mike N (a retired guy i race with who likes building chassis) build me a chassis, and have bill paint one, all i need to do is find a driver and im a contender!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts