Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a shot of Newman blasting through the esses at Road Atlanta on his way to win the D/P SCCA Championship. Its the best shot I took. I haven't found anything better. What I'm wanting to know is, does the script over the rear quarter read "Smith" or "South Racing...." If anyone has any knowledge of this text I'd appreciate knowing what it says.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Having a good look at it in photoshop I would say it deffintely says "smith" and the fnal word looks to be "Engines" I can't make out the word before that however. It looks alot like a sngle letter. So it looks to be "Smith Racing (something) Engines" I would sugest doing some research on Smith Racing, or Smith Racing Engines.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far we are concurring. I to put it on Adobe and worked it a bit. Smith Racing ...... Engines is what I came up with as well. I'll try a search on that and see what I get. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...Came up with "Smith Racing Enterprises." They are selling a TR-6 that was campaigned during that time. Possible?

·
Registered
639 Posts
OK...Came up with "Smith Racing Enterprises." They are selling a TR-6 that was campaigned during that time. Possible?
Hmm. It's possible, but I would swear that letter looks like an "H" What we think is "Engines" could be "Enterprises" shortend, but I really don't think so.

You would think the car would still exist considering who drove it and that he won in it. I'm really surprised I can't find it anywhere on the net.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think he was involved with Haas until his later racing days. May be wrong about that. I've got an e-mail into the Smith Racing Enterprises but as yet have no response.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the looks of it from a shot posted on the HW's board the text reads "Smith Racing H Engines" No clue as to what that means, but I haven't tried to find out yet.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pic I posted was taken from a photo made from a slide. I worked that on Adobe so it is better than the photo. 71Cheyenne posted a much better shot at HW's. But the glare at the over the fender still causes a doubt. It might possibly be two letters in script.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Its not up as a link its up as a photo. I'm not sure how to cut it from the thread. He didn't say where it came from just off the web....I ain't found it anywhere.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Its not up as a link its up as a photo. I'm not sure how to cut it from the thread. He didn't say where it came from just off the web.
Right click on the pic. A small dialog box will appear. Now click on "Save Picture As" From there you can now save the picture to anywhere on your hard drive you choose.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah! Now I remember... Thanks.

Here's another I shot that day. It was taken from a slide projection through a piece of paper.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually started working on this one the last night. PLN's TR being LHD I cut the interior up to retreive the seat, battery cover and dash.

The dash by the way actually has some very accurate but faint detail work on it. I couldn't see it until it was away from the rest of the interior. Too bad it for a RHD.

I was going to use the factory silver for th top cover and just mask it off and shoot the black. But the roll bar is cut into the rear deck and that will have to be filled and a different roll bar made to be accurate. But with a bit of acetone those tamps jump right off the paint without even touching that silver finish. That is some tough stuff.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK kids! We have a winner!!!! THE LETTER "H" !!!!! :dude:

There's a really detailed casting someone provided at HWs of all views. Great reference. If my dial up will get them all to come back up. A couple views on MCCH. Thanks to everyone for your input.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts