Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been pondering this for a while and I have now gotten things sorted out. I am basing this conversion Syd Mead's reference to Dekkard's Sedan being a former Police unit which had been grounded. I always wanted to see one in flight and now with the styrene kit I can.
The other thing I am considering is that the kit was based of the movie set prop which essentially both types seen on screen with a different paint job and some roof lights swapped out. Since Dekkard's version got the featured the most there were probably details which could have been in the Flying Patrol version which were unseen.
Below is a list of the changes I am making to the kit and why.

Front Wheel Covers
There seems a theme in both the Hero Spinner and the Alfa Romeo Spinner of having wheels pulled into the bodywork and being mostly covered. I am going to pull in the front wheels and place a segmented panel across them, following the existing body lines. It will look retractable but will not move in the current build.

Clear Floor Panels
One of the most practical features in the Hero Spinner- essential if you are going to do a VTOL landing in an urban setting. I doubt they were in the movie prop, but we never saw it from that angle either.

Ventral Ducts
Also not seen on screen but required since flight in that world was not replusar-lift or antigrav. I am going to mimic the ones on the Hero Spinner for this.

Rear Engine Deck
There is a chrome panel with seven rectangles which corresponds to the ones seen on the back of the Hero Spinner. I believe these to be forward thrust units and I will modify the kit part to make them look practical. The rear deck on this model has a lot of empty space around the provided greebly. I am going to add some additional things to fill it out some. This is partly due to personal aesthetics and the idea that the kit was based on Dekkard's grounded version, logically a flight version would have more hardware. Might be wrong here, it is will look better to me that way.

Front Greebly Panel
At the top of the nose is a cool panel full of unknown tech- my guess is that it would be navigational sensors I am going to have some units extend upwards, again for visual interest.

Front Dash Package Shelf
An enormous waste of space and internal volume. The front window was tinted and we never did see inside the Patrol version well, am going to add some flight computers and some greebly to fill out that empty space a bit.

Those are the changes I have come up with. I have the kit out and lines being drawn to start cutting plastic this weekend. This will be my first online build, I will be posting progress photos as I go.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Just nattering in, something to consider is Mead said he considered the Spinner to use the aerodyne method for lift- that is high pressure air blown over surfaces to generate lift. *heh* which is a fancy way of saying 'it flies', right?

anyway, try this for background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VZ-9_AV_Avrocar

And I'm still of the opinion that all that stuff on the front 'hood' is stuff from an entire unit that's been removed that held the front wheels. My speculation is that where the wheels are now used to be part of the forward thrust chamber. Naturally there would be a different engine in back, and all the ducting and compressor.

I look forward to what you create! :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Looking forward to this Richard and thanks for the kind words relating to my build.

I tend to agree with Steve that the section on the nose looks like the underlying structure that's been exposed by sections being removed.

I also agree with you that the back end looks like a stripped-down version of a flight engine, it never occurred to me that the central chrome section on the tail might be some kind of exhaust but now that I look at it again....hmmmm....incidentally I toyed with the idea of painting the internal cylinder of parts C2 and C3 in a flourescent green to simulate a nuclear fuel rod as I'm guessing the car may be powered by a micro-reactor.

I think that the existence of the giant dash area might be explained by the need to cover lots of ancillary equipment required to achieve vertical lift...notice the prominent access panel in this area.

I'm currently in the process of stripping the bodyshell of Deckard's car after a mishap with the finish :( I might then have a go at scratching the Alfa Romeo....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cutting away the interior floorboards for the ventral windows right now- nothing really photo worthy yet.
I decided to open up that big rectangle onthe front windshield 'package shelf' and put a recessed panel below it with gaps and greebly. I am following the tradtional logic of car companies when you have a factory oprion removed they drop a panel or storage bin it the open spot. It should make clear that the flight computers had been pulled out and a filler panel was used in the grounded one- and I can make it interesting since the giant window is going to make it really noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts