Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most other older model kit builders, I have over the years bought more kits than I had time to assemble. I always had big ambitions, and thought I could have the time to do it, but didn't. And, during the 1980's recession when I was laid off from my job, I got a job at a plastics factory at minimum wage until things got better.

And wow, they were manufacturing Revell kits there! Each employee was allowed to take one home for free, sans boxes and instructions. Many employees were not interested in plastic models, so ever the optimistic one, I asked them to take one anyway and give them to me. My wife watched as kit after kit came into our house, and said very little. Cars, ships, planes, you name it. I got carried away, as so many kits from there plus the ones I bought in stores began to fill the house.

Finally, my wife said, "Are you planning to live to be 150 years old or what?" and "Would you please take all of them up to the attic?" Yes ma'am. This many years later, my attic is filled with them, so in the last few years, I decided to start bringing them down and donating them to two local school districts that have established model kit clubs.

I bet some of you also have more kits than you could ever possibly build? Please consider donating them to get kids interested in our wonderful hobby, Goodwill stores will also take them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Revell Models

I don't know if you ever got any of the "Fink" kits and still have them, but I'd pay you for the ones I need. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for Atlantis to reissue them.

Rhino

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if you ever got any of the "Fink" kits and still have them, but I'd pay you for the ones I need. Otherwise, I'll have to wait for Atlantis to reissue them.

Rhino

I loved them! I wish I did still have them, but I don't, sorry. I had them when I was a kid though.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
At one time I had 700+ kits. But, when the "Great Recession" hit, I lost my job and never recovered financially. So, I ended up selling most of my kits on eBay, some for less then I paid, some for much higher then I paid. Before my job loss, I gave a few kits to fellow workers for their kids. Many kits I had purchased for just $20 on eBay, 15 yrs ago, cost triple or over that today on eBay! Still have around 150+ kits and will probably sell off a few of them too as I don't have the room to display all of them (I moved to a much smaller place a few years back).

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
.... Goodwill stores will also take them.
Goodwill has figured out they can sell these collectible items on line themselves (which is a good thing for them and their clients!) So be sure to check out their eBay listings and on line store sales as well. :cheers2:

And around here - the resellers shop the brick and morter stores regularily - so finding them on shelves is hard or lucky if you do! :cheers2:

·
Elder Statesman
1,857 Posts
Sorry you lost your job, I did as well during this, I had a huge war chest, that sustained me until I got another job. I did build a lot of kits during that time, but I know you went through PTSD of the job loss. The worst I remember was some elected officials that wanted to mess with the unemployment benifits, some not knowing or caring that UE benifits are only a fraction of your salary, now you have to use up severance pay first before you get them.

I am praying that there is not another, with this divided congress, it will be a nightmare. I build lot of kits that were in the basement closet, I call those kits the island of misfit model kits.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry you lost your job, I did as well during this, I had a huge war chest, that sustained me until I got another job. I did build a lot of kits during that time, but I know you went through PTSD of the job loss. The worst I remember was some elected officials that wanted to mess with the unemployment benifits, some not knowing or caring that UE benifits are only a fraction of your salary, now you have to use up severance pay first before you get them.

I am praying that there is not another, with this divided congress, it will be a nightmare. I build lot of kits that were in the basement closet, I call those kits the island of misfit model kits.

Thanks, appreciate that. I've found that people who haven't been impacted by the last recession, i.e. never lost their jobs, don't get what you've gone through or are currently going through. During the height of the recession, I remember one news commentator say, "Let's be honest, if you don't have a job and are collecting UE benefits, then you just don't want to work." Almost threw my shoe through the TV screen!

One good thing out of selling my kits, besides the cash, was some of the feedback I received from buyers. The one that stood out the most was a disabled veteran (Vietnam), who purchased my Polar Lights Godzilla (16" tall version). A week after getting the kit, he contacted me and thanked me for the kit, which he had already finished. He was really proud of it. It's nice to know that your kit went to someone that appreciates it and the hobby.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I hear you about selling off kits to pay bills.
I was really unlucky, that I ended up jobless just before the recession.
So, there were no extensions or anything else like that for me. 6 months of unemployment and that was it. What really complicated my job search, was the company I worked for for 17 years completely closed. So no one could check my references, as there was no place left to call.
I worked construction off and on to help make do. But that also worked against me, as most places didn't want to hire a construction guy for fear that I would leave again when the weather got better. Even though I had almost 2 decades of proof that I wasn't really a 'construction guy'
When I finally found a job (2 years after losing mine) it was for 2/3 what I was making before.
Took me until 2016 to get back to making what I was earning in 2004.

So yeah. I sold a lot of stuff.
It was actually a good thing in a way. It made me much more selective in what I purchase now. It made me realize that just because something was cool, didn't necessarily translate to me wanting to build it.
A lot of the kits I sold off, I never really missed. The few that I did regret selling, have since been replaced.

I also sold off several of my built kits.
This made me realize that even though I built and painted it, and really liked how it turned out, didn't mean I wanted to look at it on the shelf every day.

And I continue to do that now. Some kits I just want the fun of building. But I don't really want to keep them, after that experience is done. So I sell them on ebay. Make a little extra money, and clear shelf space for kits I really do want to look at every day.
My photos of my build are enough for me to remember the fun if doing it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Selling off my kits

Seems a lot of us "lifetime collectors" are selling (some) of our kits...MIB and built.
I've "whittled down" my figure collecting interests to...The Outer Limits, Paul Blaisdell creatures and Finks/Weird Ohs/Fred Flypogger/Lindberg Loonies & Repulsives and Jimmy Flintstone's Mad Monsters. I have most of these, but still on the lookout for those I don't have. If you have some that you want to part with, drop me an email.
AND, I have a number of MIB kits (some pretty rare) and A LOT of my built kits (which you may have seen posted here) that I'll part with. Again, send me an email if you have some need or interest.

I'm at...
[email protected]

I looked at the "buy/sell/trade forum, but noticed there hasn't been a thread since 2017. So, I hope it's OK that I put this here.:|

Thanks!
Rhino

I hear you about selling off kits to pay bills.
I was really unlucky, that I ended up jobless just before the recession.
So, there were no extensions or anything else like that for me. 6 months of unemployment and that was it. What really complicated my job search, was the company I worked for for 17 years completely closed. So no one could check my references, as there was no place left to call.
I worked construction off and on to help make do. But that also worked against me, as most places didn't want to hire a construction guy for fear that I would leave again when the weather got better. Even though I had almost 2 decades of proof that I wasn't really a 'construction guy'
When I finally found a job (2 years after losing mine) it was for 2/3 what I was making before.
Took me until 2016 to get back to making what I was earning in 2004.

So yeah. I sold a lot of stuff.
It was actually a good thing in a way. It made me much more selective in what I purchase now. It made me realize that just because something was cool, didn't necessarily translate to me wanting to build it.
A lot of the kits I sold off, I never really missed. The few that I did regret selling, have since been replaced.

I also sold off several of my built kits.
This made me realize that even though I built and painted it, and really liked how it turned out, didn't mean I wanted to look at it on the shelf every day.

And I continue to do that now. Some kits I just want the fun of building. But I don't really want to keep them, after that experience is done. So I sell them on ebay. Make a little extra money, and clear shelf space for kits I really do want to look at every day.
My photos of my build are enough for me to remember the fun if doing it.

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts
We probably should rename the model car buy and sell section to be for any model kit buy and sell listing. We did manage to get the archived listings section to be just models. After the server migration planned for the end of the week I will put in a request to rename both of them to be model kits. :cheers2:

And yes the general buy and sell hasnt been used for a couple of years now. But the swap and sell one in the collectible section has been used recently. :thumbsup:

·
Elder Statesman
1,857 Posts
I am always amazed when I see collectors who have floor to ceiling collections of boxed unbuilt kits, The first thing think about is what happens if there was a fire, what would they save first. Like Vincent Price in House of Wax, "my children!!!!!".

Let's be honest, I am guilty as the next collector, in impulse buying, the dopamine surging at Chiller Theatre shows where in the 90's I would spend up to $500.00 dollars of resin kits, some were bad kits, but I had to have them, only to sit in closet for 30 years, some are being buildt now, so I rarely buy kits anymore, having fun building these, I have enough, not like those flood to the roof guys.

To our moderator, the new design looks great, I but I liked being called "Elder Statesman" which is no longer used, consider bringing it back, we earned that title, this my 15th year, also I hope if is now easier to post photos.

·
Super Moderator
24,536 Posts

To our moderator, the new design looks great, I but I liked being called "Elder Statesman" which is no longer used, consider bringing it back, we earned that title, this my 15th year, also I hope if is now easier to post photos.
I quoted your message about the "Elder Statesman" tag over into the Community Feedback thread and VS Admin has followed up there about it as well.

My understanding is that the awards system is still being addressed and there is also a new points system in place as an additional member status measure.

They would also like for you (and others) to post comments about changes both the good and bad in that thread so they can be tracked and addressed on an ongoing basis for weekly updates to be made.

For me this means an even more responsive VS Admin presence and more improvements down the line! :cool:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
As I have mentioned before, I have been teaching my son the art of building. While he still enjoys the fancy video games like most kids his age the feeling he gets when he takes a box of parts and makes it his own is special.
My closet of Doom is filled with shelves of kit- a lot of them are out of production, most are waiting for a good amount of time to build them up as I plan to.
I am also almost 62 and get only a fraction of the time I used to have for building- it far too long to complete even a small project like my B-Wing. Considering it all, I will simply not live long enough to build all those kits, that job will be my son's to do. When I look at them now I fell a sense of loss and regret, now I have to choose which ones I will be spending my time with- so many grails in there and so little time to finally enjoy them...

·
Elder Statesman
1,857 Posts
My son, never picked up on the hobby, but I have been building kits since age 5, my son is always excited to his dad's new builds.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As I have mentioned before, I have been teaching my son the art of building. While he still enjoys the fancy video games like most kids his age the feeling he gets when he takes a box of parts and makes it his own is special.
My closet of Doom is filled with shelves of kit- a lot of them are out of production, most are waiting for a good amount of time to build them up as I plan to.
I am also almost 62 and get only a fraction of the time I used to have for building- it far too long to complete even a small project like my B-Wing. Considering it all, I will simply not live long enough to build all those kits, that job will be my son's to do. When I look at them now I fell a sense of loss and regret, now I have to choose which ones I will be spending my time with- so many grails in there and so little time to finally enjoy them...
After I retired a few years ago, I now have more time to work on kits. Although not as much time as I would like. Those nasty "honey Dos" are still around, along with staying involved in our little Oregon community.

Rhino

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Even though my collection is modest compared to some (many?) of yours, I still need to pare it down. I'll be moving to a small place soon and just won't have room to store them. I'm not even sure I'll have room to work on kits... Also not sure what I'm going to do with the built kits. I have a feeling that my days of building may be winding down. I do spend a lot of my time mountain biking, though, so at least there's that.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
When I relocated (and then a while later married) I had to get rid of 95% of everything I owned. I was moving into a fully furnished home that was tight on space to begin with and while I was putting everything into a downstairs room I had a LOT of stuff. I gave my best friend, who is also a model builder, carloads of unbuilt kits, partially started kits, unfinished projects and box after box of detailing parts from donor kits. I knew he would both appreciate them and give them a good buildup.
What I kept was my personal favorites, some grails and such. Even the culled inventory fills a walk in storage closet to the ceiling. Now that I have a family I tend to spend most of the time upstairs with them, the only building time I get is typically an hour or so each week with my son- we work side by side, each on different projects. The B-Wing was the last project finished and it took weeks, something I would have knocked out in a weekend in the old days.

·
Elder Statesman
1,857 Posts
I am in the process of thinking about paring down my collection. As I said earlier, most of these kits were impulse purchases, I have some bad resin kits and some good resin kits, some of these are too good not to build.
I have kits that I am keeping, and some I would like to get rid of, and I know that I will take a loss on them, I hate to say it but, I feel that this hobby will die us, building and painting is not for everyone, every major comic book store sells Sideshow collectable figures, unbox them and display.
One of the last Chiller Shows I went to, I ran into John Dennett, he is one of the big three sculptors back in the day, with Randy Bowen and Thomas Kuntz, he was telling me how he trying to get rid of his massive collection.
Yes, I do own a copy of the book, “The Garage Kit That Eat My Wallet”,(most appropriate title) it’s a biography of the late 80’s and 90’s, of kit buildings such as myself, I got to know Gordy Dutt, Terry J Webb and David Fisher, and others, some still around, my others have passed on, I still have kits I bought from them.
I am old enough to have a bucket list, and for the last 15 years or so, I have checking them off, recently been to Europe three times, and Egypt and other places, I now have to add certain model kits on that list. These kits MUST be built, I won’t buy a kit that won’t be built.
I still get excited at the thought of building kits, but I have more than enough, a new kit has to make my head explode for me to buy it, that hasn’t happened in long time. The impulse buying is over thank God. I discovered or rediscovered reading and listening to music, as ways to relax as well.

My grail kits are Spartacus and Jimmy Brown, if reissued, I’m there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts