Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got the Tusken Raider 1/6 scale prepainted vinmyl kit from Polydata.

The paintjob is very neatly done, but rather 1-dimensional. No shading, no highlights. Not sure yet whether I want to repaint the thing, or just add drybrushing & washes to the existing paintjob.

Has anyone out there ever done either a full repaint or just a detailing job on one of these Polydata kits? If so... any warnings/cautions?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
DinoMike, I did repaints of the Raider and Leia. I didn't strip them b/c I wasn't aware of that at the time...I primered right over top of the factory paint job. The Sandperson is a drybrushers' dream but Leia is the exact opposite. I guess you can have fun with it either way. These were great kits and I am disappointed they went out of business. They had upcoming kits sculpted and ready for production... Chewbacca and Boba Fett, both sculpted by Shawn Nagle and beautiful. I asked Shawn about these kits and if there was any chance of them being released as GKs and he said nope, they are held up by too many rights and legalities. These were amazing and it's a real shame we will never see them. If I can scrounge up pics I will post them.

Travis

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... how can ya strip that paint off? Stripping paint of styrene is one thing... but vinyl's a much trickier material to work with.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Sure, you can strip paint off vinyl. I use either Castrol Super Clean or lemon scented Easy-Off. Most paints come off fine. Plusses and minuses are: often, the factory paint layer makes a fine base coat for your new paint to stick to. Just give it a wipe-down to clean off any finger oils--saves a lot of time and work. Downside is that often, the factory paint is way too thick and may obscure much fine detail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts