Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i airbrushed a 1/48th scale F-16. i painted it but there were some parts that werent so well done. i tried hand painting it with brushes but all of them left little marks; the marks look like almost scratches of paint taking off with a thin base layer still on. can you guys tell me what im doing wrong? what kind of paint brushes or should i not use them at all and just always use the airbrush?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
try adding some thinner to the paint, so the paint spreads out and you don't get those little marks. The great model Railroader John Allen used to paint a model with 3-4 coats of paint thinned down ,and his models didn't show brush strokes.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
In painting some of my latest projects for small parts or a tough to get to area I've been keeping a small jar with thinner in it, then I pick up a dab of paint on my brush, then just dip the tip of the brush into the thinner (just touch it in the thinner and pull right out, don't leave it set) the thinner will draw itself up the brush. I get very smooth results that way. If you get to much thinner in one area, just continue on, let that spot dry a little and then hit it again. Any rough areas a light sanding with fine grade sand paper and another dab of paint works. You have to experiment some to get the feel for painting this way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts