Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Hi Dwayne, Is that a gravity feed or a siphon unit? You can shoot just about anything providing it's correctly thinned.

I use bomb cans and my airbrush. Every one has their favorite brand of paint. Testors, Tamiya, etc. Heck I really like Krylon or Duplicolor from the auto parts store. Drys fast. I've played with acrylics and the water base crap and hate them all. I like the stuff that says, "kills braincells on contact" right on the lable.

A good trick for your air brush, if you have a bombcan color you want/need to airbrush, is to blow a bunch into a suitable container and then pour it into your airbrush cup.

I always do a couple test passes on something sacrificial before I aim it at the car.

Good luck - Bill

· Model Murdering
7,334 Posts
Test Everything!

micyou03 said:
Bill,

Do you know if Duplicolor works over Krylon primer without issues?

Mike
Hi Mike! Hoo boy! Unless I know for sure I always test shoot everything first when I'm mixing and matching. Unless forced at gunpoint I try not to use primer. It fills details I generally want to keep. I mostly do styrene so it's very forgiving and takes paint (direct top coats) well. I blow on a tack coat of color and then after it flashes off I slam on a good fluid top coat. I let this cure good and wet sand if necessary. I repeat the process as many times as it takes to get it straight.

I have had issues with a Krylon colors as a base coat, then topped with Duplicolor clear! I've also had issues with Duplicolor red primers reacting with other brand topcoats.

Lately I've used Martin Senor self etching high solids primer from Napa, when I must. I like it. Drys quick. Cuts well when sanding. Seems to be the ticket. So far no disasters! I've blown Krylon, Duplicolor, Rustoleum, and other garden variety enamels on it no problemo. It is a bit noxious though. :drunk:

Doesnt matter what I'm up to, I alwayspractice paint a plastic spoon, cup, whatever is hangin' around. There's nothing more aggravating then farging something up due to a reaction or nozzle problem. Especially when you've spent hard hours and effort in the build.

The best rule of thumb is to let each coat cure out for a day. The less remaining volatiles in each successive coat the better. It also provides time for the inevitable shrinkage that maginifies any errors you could correct before the next coat. Good luck! BTW Watcha' paintin'? Post up!

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.