Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked this question in Military ... thought I'd ask here as well. I need paint and related supplies for the Guillow F6F I'm building.

Can find all sorts of paint for plastic but nothing for balsa. Need clear dope, thinner, balsa filler etc.
Any suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Doesn't Tower Hobbies have an assortment of paint for balsa planes.Normally balsa planes,if it is a big scale one,is normally covered with either fiberglass cloth or coverite,I believe.Epoxy paint is possiblly the right choice,if my memory served me right.So long ago since I dealth with wooden kits.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I only used balsa once a very long time ago but after sealing it, I painted it with regular enamels. I would have thought that once balsa is sealed, it would take almost any kind of paint.

On the other hand, I could be wrong.

Jim

·
Oxidation Genius
31,239 Posts
I think if you give it a good heavy base coat of dope, you can then use regular plastic model paints on it. You might want to try it on some sample material first, just in case I'm wrong. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. They are most helpful.

I started this model in 1984 and put it away in the stick stage. All the paint I bought for it dried up and is unusable. When I was a kid I made many balsa flying models for u-control. This one is a display as is the F4U I haven't started yet.

Covering with tissue has always beem my nemisis, but in those days I had no patience. I wanted to fly!

I did manage to find clear dope and thinner which is what I need to apply the tissue. I'll look at the various enamels when I get to that stage.

Anything out there that is better than the tissue?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Toolking said:
...Anything out there that is better than the tissue?...
Might try thin balsa sheet, to avoid that fabric-covered look.

You need a shop that specializes in RC planes. Around L.A., there's Hobby People. They also have a website.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use a glue stick and the tissue paper supplied with the kit. I then use a water mist bottle to shrink the paper. The spray paint shrinks it a second time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts