Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm painting a Revell 69 Charger model and I need the exact color of paint, my question is what type of paint can I airbrush with. Can I use Automotive Urethane paint? Home Latex Acrylic paint? or what options can I use that can be color matched and used with an airbrush?????

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
What color do you want? Testors has many stock auto colors in both thier Model Master enamel line and also their new Custom Lacquer series. For example, I used AMC silver recently... The lacquers come in spray cans but go on VERY nicely, like the excellent Tamiya sprays. You an decant and airbrush them if you wanted.

You can airbrush automotive paints. They are usually pretty "hot" and to be safe, prime the model first with something like Duplicolor primer. Lacquers can melt plastics, although with an airbrush they usually dry pretty quickly. Lacquers can also make a cotton candy/spiderweb mess so you usually need a retarder in with it.

Remember also the "scale effect"... the color used on a full size real life car usually looks funny on a model. Usually models should be lightened up a bit to keep them from looking dark and toy like. Some colors, like Black, are just black... but you might want to experiment with other shades.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm doing a Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Charger, the color is called Curious Yellow, Citra Yella, or Chrysler code Y3 and PPG code 2320 from the 71 Dodge paint colors

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
It looks a lot like Daytona Yellow which Testors makes in a lacquer... You might also look at Tamiya's yellow sprays... they have several and they are VERY good. Sometimes the name may not match the color... For example, Tamiya's Camel Yellow (for the Camel F-1 Car) is a dead on match for US Navy "Chrome Yellow". Tamiya makes Chrome Yellow but it doesnt match the Navy shade...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll look into it, the Yellow has a Green tint to it so I might just have to try to mix my colors to achieve it.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Is that your car in the picture ? I have a lot of personal DMCL info & pictures of all 3 of the chargers used in the movie & the correct information on the stripe.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
is home latex ever recommended for anything in modeling?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Burt,
No its not my car, it belongs to a guy over on dodgecharger.com

I would love to see what info you have on the stripe and any other info you have on all 3 cars, is it in digital form that you could send me???

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I belong to that group also, you have probably seen my original DMCL charger i bought in 1977. Ghoste posted them for me. I found the color at Hobbytown and can't remember the name of the color. i have a picture of the model someone else did of the car & i will post it here. I cannot remember whose it is but it was on the web so i saved it. here it is. here is the car in storage.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
no i didn't how does it look ? the stripe is a little tricky the way it reduces down in size, the trick is knowing when & where to start narrowing it and follow the reduction from one body panel to the next before starting to reduce it down again. one guy from our group & i think it is the guy with the charger you posted, was able to meet Peter Fonda and have him sit in his DMCL charger. i followed the post until it dropped off & never saw the pictures he was going to take. That is a nice car & sounds like a lot of time & money was put into it. looking at it, i notice the passenger side stripe is correct from what i can see from the rear angle. the stripe on the driver side is different and looks like it got reduced down to soon. to be correct the vinyl top trim rings that go around the area where the roof meets the quarter panels. in the movie those were left on when the vinyl tops were removed to match the # 1 car. mine had them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts