Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new at models. I have a car that asks for semi-gloss black. Can't find it anywhere. Been to hobby shops, Michaels, retail stores....you name it. All I see is gloss and flat black. If I mix them together will it create a semi gloss black? Also is there a steel color? I tried the testors paint chart link up top but kept getting the johnny lightning website.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is a problem now these days. Whenever I get a model, there is at least one obscure one that doesn't exist and you have to figure out what to do about it.

Fourtunately, for you, those colors aren't too uncommon. Here is a link to where you can buy online. I have had good results from them, although one time one of the paints I got was too thin, but thats not there fault.

You should be able to find whatever you need here, unless the color doesnt exist. but the ones you mentioned are common.

http://www.pastimehm.com/Paints/ModelMaster/MMM_Acryl_Acrylics.htm

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
CamaroCuz said:
I'm new at models. I have a car that asks for semi-gloss black. Can't find it anywhere. Been to hobby shops, Michaels, retail stores....you name it. All I see is gloss and flat black. If I mix them together will it create a semi gloss black?
If this is a detail color (not the whole car), you should be able to mix gloss and flat black. Use about 20% gloss, 80% flat. It's not perfect but should work. If you hobby store has Humbrol paints, they have a satin black paint (satin = semi-gloss).

If you're doing a large area (the whole car), spray with flat black and when dry, coat it with Testor's Semi-Gloss Finish (next to the Dullcote and Glosscote in your hobby shop).

There are other more complex ways of getting where you want to go but, since you new at this, these are your simplest options.

Welcome to the hobby. Remember, that no question is too basic and that we're here for you when you want to build up your skills.

Jim
(modeling for nearly 50 years and still only an intermediate modeler!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts