Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice how the paint on some of your JL's and Jada's will crackle on it's own? I thought it might be due to the hot dry climate in my region but I just opened a Jada still in the package from years ago and it's all cracked up like some sort of hard boiled egg. Very disconcerting!!! :mad:

I mean I had two identical pieces of differing color (not that it means anything) in the same box in the same garage for the exact same amount of time and one turns out like new while the other looks like the wifey practiced some sort of craft project on it while i wasn't looking.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
heat then cold means the paint will expand and contract its even worse on models because its really hard baked on paint so it basically has no "flex" to it like automotive paint so seems like its the heat/cold cycle that is doing it. i would store them in a climate controlled area from now on..could also be the paint drying out, and another reason to wax any thing with paint as it keeps the paint "hydrated" same thing happens on single stage paints that are not taken care of...wonder if you contact jada if they will send a replacement.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Yupp Jeff.... It is where you live..... I bought a bunch of Jadas from the East Coast where its blazing hot in the summer and freakin cold in the winter and they were all the same.... It has to be the climate they are in or where they have been stored away.... All of mine here in Ca all look brand new from when I purchased them - in the packs and loose... They all look new.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I agree that it may have to due with climate, somewhat. But I think the real issue was/is a paint defect with some Johnny Lightning product. The paint cracking issue is exactly the reason why I sold off my entire 2,500 + Johnny Lightning collection a few years ago. it seemed that most of the paint defects had to do with the White paint that was used mostly on the roofs of the cars. I have had Hot Wheels, Muscle Machines, Jada, GreenLight, M2 & even Matchbox stored/displayed the same way as my Lightnings were. The only brand I've seen with such terrible paint issues occuring over time is Johnny Lightning. It was a shame, because I really liked my Lightning collection. But because of the paint cracking issues, I'll never buy another one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had the same problem with a 55 Chevy Racing champion that got left in my attic it was white as well, it gets really hot up there!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts