Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was selling at a toy show today and heard nothing but negative comments about the new JL packaging. I still have mixed feelings about the packaging myself but I was surprised by all the comments I heard from both collectors and other dealers.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
What were some of the more common complaints that you heard?? I like the look, but the bulk and the difficulty opening are drawbacks for me. Of course, any added cost associated with the new packaging is an unnecessary expense as far as I'm concerned especially since raw materials and labor costs have risen too - why add more for the buyer?

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I can understand the negative comments from the dealers, as the newer blisters don't seem to side stack or box as well as the older cardboard style. So that makes sense for someone who was packing and un-packing all the time.

But what did the collector object to? Since I open 90% of all my cars, I think they are a pain to open, but I think they look great. And if I am leaving in the blister, I don't have to worry about a pro-tector. Just curious.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Visually I have to say the packaging looks nice. I am not a big fan of that plastic packing that is also used by Maisto and Jada. The one problem with the JL's is that they dont stack well together unlike the other two mentioned. I honestly don't know if the cost increase was related to the package. It would clearly be speculation to say one way or the other. In the end it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what the package is since I prefer to open all mine anyway.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most people just felt the packaging was too bulky. One person commented that it took away from the car.
Sorry but I don't rember all the exact comments I just remember not hearing anything really positive about the packaging.

I also saw a lot more HWs going out the door than JLs and GLs (the 2 lines I was selling). :cry:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
I also saw a lot more HWs going out the door than JLs and GLs.
That's too bad. People still collecting quantity over quality? Go figure. :rolleyes:

I don't mind the new JL packaging at all. I had no problem opening the TWO cars I've bought so far in the new packaging. :freak: I guess it'd be a bigger problem if I actually bought more, but that remains to be seen.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Have you heard people making the same complaints about the Jada and Maisto products?
The only gripe I have ever heard about them is that are hard to open. The JL packaging can't be any less bulky especially when comparing to the BTM packages.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Atencio said:
Have you heard people making the same complaints about the Jada and Maisto products?
The only gripe I have ever heard about them is that are hard to open. The JL packaging can't be any less bulky especially when comparing to the BTM packages.
I don't recall ever hearing any complaints about the bulkiness of any other lines, but then again I mainly carry JLs. The only complaint I've heard about the other plastic encased cars is that they are hard to open.
I think the large 3D type logo is what bugs people the most.

·
0 Posts
rlyoung1 said:
I think the large 3D type logo is what bugs people the most.
That's probably it in a nutshell.

If the new packaging nestled together better for less bulky shipping and storage, it would probably be acceptable to most people. :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm not a dealer, so I don't have to ship them anywhere, but I still don't really like the new packaging. The same problems that effect shipping will effect displays. Displays for carded pieces, where the card slides into a track and stacks on the previous card, can't be used now. My old basement was finished in white perforated hardboard, and the nice, squared off cards fit together perfectly, so I basically wallpapered my basement with Johnny Lightnings. That wouldn't work as well now.
I'm no longer displaying my cars that way, so now I only buy cars that I plan to open, so it isn't having a huge effect on me. In the past I bought many cars, and they are stored in boxes all over my basement. The new packaging would take up a lot more space. I just think the new packages are too bulky.
Oh, yeah! They're also a pain to open.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I know what you mean scrambler about the sliding of the cards, i used to have a display like that i made, used it for about a month, and tossed it (didn't work to well). And i see how these would not work in that display.

They are also a little bit of a pain in my current way of displaying (mini blinds.. thanks kenny kaos for that idea). due to the hook being bulky, and on some, just a hold, not a hook.

But none the less... i really could care less what the packaging looks like, i might keep it in there (for now) but i don't let it stnd between me and the cars that i want/need.

I'm just curious why noone complains about all the other manufactures that use the same style.

PS: on the opening issue...

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
TheDarkCutlass said:
I'm just curious why noone complains about all the other manufactures that use the same style.
Probably because JLs were always on cardboard cards and now they aren't. Those other lines always were entombed in plastic.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
Probably because JLs were always on cardboard cards and now they aren't. Those other lines always were entombed in plastic.
Yeah, what he said! Besides, I don't buy those other brands. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
929 Posts
TheDarkCutlass said:
Speaking for myself, I don't like the packaging for some of the reasons already mentioned, (too bulky) and I pretty much ignore other brands that are packaged that way.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:

I think you hit it on the head - lots of people are resistant to change.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I personally like the new packaging. It may be a bit harder to open, but not a big deal to me. If you want something that is a pain to get out, try taking a car out of the 10 car box sets - you have to untangle the plastic ties and then try to get it out underneath the wheelwells.

Also, like several others said, people are resistant to change and that is a main reason why people do not like it. Well, for those people, this world is constantly changing! You will have to deal with it and adapt. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
my 2 cents in the matter is: I like the new packaging. I'm not big on the 3d logo part when it comes to shipping (not a dealer, but for trades, etc,) but I get over it. A pair of scissors opens then up pretty easy, and if anything, think it enhances the car on the peg. The new packaging on the 1:24 makes me want to buy them all and keep them in the package. I'm going to have to change up some of my displays that I make to accept the new cards, but I have it pretty well figued out.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I don't like the new blisters. Hard to open, impossible to look at on the pegs without dumping half of them - and to be honest, it's a lot more trash to throw out for no real reason.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts