Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some do's and don't to using traction compound for a pan car on

an oval track.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Im sure everyones got their own system but first off steer clear of wintergreen scented compound most tracks dont allow it anymore and most guy appreciate the lack of smell. (i like the niftec stuff). Apply even layer to tire by spinning it. Allow to sit for 5-10min. longer if first race for the week Wipe aggressively with rag and away you go. I redo all tires for every race also you can tune the car by applying less to parts of tire. DONT put car on track with tires dripping with goop and do a burnout down the straight away most tracks have a burnout carpet for a little extra wipedown if desired. Remember use compound even during your practice sessions the car will handle entirely different without it.

G

·
Yeah that is so true, along with everyone preferring a specific brand. I like the Paragon brand, application varies depending on track and how car handles. Sometimes it full application to rear tires, of just the center section and wiped off after 15 seconds or so on the front it may be applies to the 1/4 of the right front to 1/2 and 1/4 to none on left front. On a couple tracks I've seen temperature ranges call for a change in how you apply compound.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
it is also good to clean your tires after a few runs.. either with lighter fluid , or motor spay.. certain traction aditives make the tires real gummy.. this will affect the performance... i also after a day of racing clean my tires with soap and water.. this gets all of the old traction additives off the foam.. then i let them air dry, and bag them in a ziploc. this keeps the foam super frsh from week to week..

PS if your track allows paragon or wintergreen based,, use it..paragon is and will always be the best..

·
Registered
904 Posts
PARAGON

apply to the full surface of all tires except the right front and then wipe IMMEDIATELY.
Then, apply to the inner 2/3's of the RF tire and wipe IMMEDIATELY.

dont bring the car to the track with the tires even slightly wet.

do not "burnout" on the "burnout carpet"..... simple hold your car firly with two hand and push it sideways at a 45* angle.

then, drive the car slowly to the line and you are ready...

CLEANING

ALWAYS clean the tires well with motor spray after each run. Apply the spray to a clean papertowel and wipe gently. repeat this step for each tire until the rag does not turn black when the tire is rubbed

Mike Voccola

·
Registered
441 Posts
mikey you make me laugh he asked how to clean tires and your telling him how you wipe your a$$. give me a call i want to figure out a day we can take a ride to the ne wtrack in maine. 289-0591, Brad

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
motor spray tends to actually dry the tire out.. to me at least.. thats why soap and water workse best...

on flat tracks, lighter fluid seems to be most popular.... i havent seen to many fast guys slow down because of it...

paragon, wil soften them alot more then lighter fluid.. and inmo paragon is still unmatched

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
When do you apply compound?Time wise before the first heat and or practice.And will the paragon soften the foam temporarily or will it be a softer tire from then on?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
during the course of the day, the paragon will soften a bit more each time you use it... to a certain extent.. after you wash them, they arent as soft... most tires seem to get really gummy after 2-3 runs...

if u choose to clean them, make sure you do it the same every time.. this will assure u keep the proper consistency.... and what i mean is if u clean them every 2 runs, do it every two runs... If u dont do it the same all the time. they will change duro rates the longer u wait...

i usually put my tire traction on 4 heats before mine.. and wipe it off at the beginning of the heat before mine.. this way it has time to air dry a bit... most tire tracs seem to have a slimy film after u wipe them off.. i also dont burn the tire trac off the tire by driving.. when u do this all you do is burn it off the rear tires...

i kneel down and roll my tires on the track surface .. u can also do this by sliding your car on and angle against the track surface...

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
paragone!!!!! yuk! if your into the smell of mens locker rooms go ahead! ahahhaha

niftech= very good
paragon traction action = very good
corally jack the gripper = very good
TQ orange=best smelling works good

most require it placed on the tire 15 minutes before you run..please wipe tire off completely before racing. this rule of thumb applies to most tracks..excluding the birds!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts