Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bored, thought I'd start a thread to see what you crazy folks bring outdoors with you.

EZUp's, Folding tables, Pit Trailers, Portable A/C Units (ok im getting carried away).. and of course your long extension cords ;-)

I'm tempted to pick one of these up

but...hey... thats what this thread is for... what do YOU bring?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Portable A/C? Bah, I bring the big boy along...my 34' Motor Home :) I guess I consider that portable A/C! hahaha

Actually, the DJ friend of mine takes a portable A/C when he races (yes, he drives with a single stick controller with the back of his hand). He has to have one on hot days, and a heater on cold days, since his body can't regulate temperature. Not a bad driver either!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my upcoming purchase is going to have to be a ex-up (10x10 or 8x8) , one of those tables or....... i was thinking that picnic table is cool as i can put one of the jointed umbrellas, but then that looks pretty TACKY huh.. hahaha....

i drive a lil honda... i dunno if i can fit all this stuff =( ugh.. rc racing expenses...
hahah

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I drive a honda civic hatchback and this is want I bring:
10'x10' pop up from DICK'S sporting, the length when folded is half the ez up
2'x4' folding table picked up at Sams, it folds in half in a 2'x2' square

I actually know someone who uses a picnic table like that but only uses the table area for pitting and seating area to place r/c stuff on it and brings along a regular folding chair

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I have a nice light table (plastic) that is 2' x 4' but doesn't fold...

I also have a really heavy folding plastic table...I think it's 3' x 6' (which I like...but it's soo heavy)

Don't much race at night...so I don't bring a light everywhere...but when I do - it's the knock off of the Ott-Lite.

Those little picnic tables were popular 20+ years ago when I started..but I saw several of them collapse when people actually tried to sit on them.

I also have the 12 x 12 EZ-Up that at temp. surface races works at RACE CENTRAL and mine and my sons pits - which is why I went with the bigger one. For chairs, I use to use a really comfortable cloth lawn chair that didn't have that pesky annoying bar across the front...but I've switched to the folding bar stools from Wal-Mart (About 10 bucks) Perfect height to work (Lawn chair was too low)

We've got several guys w/ the pit trailers...and after out JULY VELODROME race last year, we've got 2 or 3 more people THIS YEAR with the big A/C's in them (the VELO temps hit 118 degrees at NOON - and the track temp was 156.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Most of the time I pit off of the tailgate of my Ranger. I set the EZ-UP just over the canopy and have a nice piece of plywood (finished) for a table. I've been thinking about a 6 foot table but the tailgate seems to be good for now, and since I've gone brushless, I dont need nearly as much room. Charger and carstand and toolbox (plano 797) and I am all set. We don't have electricity at our track so everything has to be run off the truck battery. Pacific Power is a bunch of tightwads!

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Mits, you can still have an enclosed trailer and the small honda. A 5x8 will pit one with room for a counter. Also you can put a small window a/c at the bottom in the nose. If you look, they can be bought new for about 1800 bucks. Keep an eye out, one can be found use for half that too.

I raced with a guy that had a 6x10 and pulled it with a 4cyl accord without any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Check out the 10x10 EZ-Ups at Sams, they come with 3 sides as well....
I've had mine for a few years and the sides help out A LOT!

Also try and get the Ez-Up that has pole going straight down, not at an angle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
just bought a 4' banquet table at Home Depot like the one Hankster posted above for $35 if you want something a little smaller than that version...also want to thank the fellow racer who supplied me with a 5 gallon bucket to sit on yesterday at Seaford haha

·
Registered
938 Posts
I use this table right here It fits in the back of my focus with tons of room to spare.link

I use the $60 10x10 dick's brand ez-up for shade. I think I'm going to get the sides for it so I don't have to keep adjusting it as the sun changes. Three of us usually pit under it.

For the light I use a ott-lite for my personal space and a overhead clip on light in the middle of the tent for general light.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ok im not THAT serious to pull a trailer on my honda.. HAHAHAHA. :p (yet)

1Starpower said:
Mits, you can still have an enclosed trailer and the small honda. A 5x8 will pit one with room for a counter. Also you can put a small window a/c at the bottom in the nose. If you look, they can be bought new for about 1800 bucks. Keep an eye out, one can be found use for half that too.

I raced with a guy that had a 6x10 and pulled it with a 4cyl accord without any problems.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
rcmits...i have a green version of that table that i use outdoors. hank is right, it is wobbly so what i do is use another chair and sit right at one end. this also allows you to use the chair space as a place to sit more equiptment off the ground. if you get one, i would suggest going through and med locktite all the little screws. mine are starting to come loose and fall out after two years of use.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've learned the hard way when racing outdoors that less is better. However, I make sure to bring all my stuff in plastic totes that have tops. This comes in hand when it rains. I have a 4x2 folding table that is awesome. Fits behind the driver's seat of my 2-door car, the legs are retractable and it folds in half. I also bring a metal folding director's chair. It is light and it cost less than $20 from a drug store.

After years of being dehydrated I also bring a cooler of water or sports drinks with me. I also throw some sun tan lotion in the car just in case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts