Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a carpet oval racing club name N.O.R.A. out here in Mt. Vernon Wa. Our capet isn't real ozite, its some sort of blue indoor outdoor carpeting that was bought at a place like home depot probably 10 years ago. It does have kind of an ozite appearance. Anway, we've all been using Paragon softener for years. We are starting to get more and more people that won't show up because the paragon gives them headaches or trouble with asthma and in some people eye irritation. One thing that we think will help is the fact that we are moving to a much bigger building this season. Anyway, we would like to hear what kinds of softeners that your clubs are using and how well they have worked. One of our local tracks uses TQ orange. The TQ orange works great on ozite, but on our track it only lasts about 3 minutes and our races are 5. Paragon works great at our track and we're trying to find a subsitution that will perform at a similar level as the paragon that is a little nicer for everyone to be around. Any advice you guys have for us would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Les O'Dell

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Lester24 said:
Hi, we have a carpet oval racing club name N.O.R.A. out here in Mt. Vernon Wa. Our capet isn't real ozite, its some sort of blue indoor outdoor carpeting that was bought at a place like home depot probably 10 years ago. It does have kind of an ozite appearance. Anway, we've all been using Paragon softener for years. We are starting to get more and more people that won't show up because the paragon gives them headaches or trouble with asthma and in some people eye irritation. One thing that we think will help is the fact that we are moving to a much bigger building this season. Anyway, we would like to hear what kinds of softeners that your clubs are using and how well they have worked. One of our local tracks uses TQ orange. The TQ orange works great on ozite, but on our track it only lasts about 3 minutes and our races are 5. Paragon works great at our track and we're trying to find a subsitution that will perform at a similar level as the paragon that is a little nicer for everyone to be around. Any advice you guys have for us would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Les O'Dell
Jack The Gripper maybe??? try that stuff...

-Tone

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Les,

Unfortunately, Paragon Ground Effects is still king. But lots of tracks all over the country are banning it. :(

This is my alternative list from best to worse, if i have to run something else

Paragon Traction Action(New last spring from Paragon)
Tq 8+
Niftech
Jack the Slipper

Unlike original paragon the above alternatives all seem to need a little more "soaking" time, the tires don't soak these up like they do paragon. Probably why you felt some traction loss with TQ. If you go with TQ go with the 8+ it seems better than the orange.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Our local club had the same problem.....
However, all of them still give the same effects.....

Most run TQ8 now, and no one is allowed to use Ground effects!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smokefan, the carpet has held up suprisingly well. We have on average 30 cars every friday for 16 race season that runs from november to March. The most we've ever had is around 50 racers.

Thanks for the info everybody, Is the Tq8 really that different from the Tq orange? Also interested in the new paragon.

Lester

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yes, there is a big difference in TQ 8+ & TQ Orange. TQ 8+ I believe was designed for longer races such as 8 minute on-road races. It should last for your 5 minute races easy. I'm with Danny though, Paragon Ground Effects is the best there is but I can also understand why people don't like it.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
I've had good luck with Paragon FX 2 and it doesn't have the bad wintergreen smell that Ground FX does. It does smell a little like Hoppes gun solvent however (hunters will know what that is). I'm planning to get some of the new Traction Action to try out this season though. It's supposed to have very little smell.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Only thing I didn't like about the TQ Mod stuff, when I let the car rest for summer racing, the tires get really cracked. I know I should have washed and bagged them before putting them up, but with the Paragon products, I haven't had that problem.

·
*Justin Smith*
930 Posts
get the new odorless paragon thats out. Same good stuff but with no scent! TQ Mod 8 min work decently but will eat the glue in your tires. I like the Jack the gripper personally but wherever paragon is aloud i use it. Definately check out the new odorless paragon though if you must use paragon

·
*Justin Smith*
930 Posts
JPG333 said:
Where can I buy the oderless paragon???? Is the smell really strong?

Thanks,

Jim G.
i know our local hobby shop just got it in and the smell is not strong at all. about the same as everything else i.e. tq and the gripper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts