Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I usually receive emails from Star Trek Dot Com,well I got one telling me that iTunes carries the Remastered Episodes Uncut for sale to download to your iPod Video Player,for those interested.

I know that a lot of us like the original series,but I figured that I would let those who like the Remastered TOS to have a chance to get the episodes especially since they are uncut. This is not meant to offend those who like the Original,just information.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I can't vouch for these for sure... but I missed an episode of 24 a few weeks ago, and my friend downloaded it onto his computer (from the apple store, I think...) and I have to say it was PERFECT... clearer than on my fancy TV.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I've downloaded all the season 3 BSGalactica.

I've connected my PC to my TV.

One time I tried to convert the MPEG4 itunes files to Divx directly.

Two different programs have examined the iTunes file and claim(even before trying to convert it) it is 23.something frames per minute, which makes sense as the video is very slightly choppy when playing in full quality on my computer/TV.

Otherwise good - but slightly choppy. People who have downloaded previous BSGalactica seasons that I already bought on DVD have said that this season's video is choppier then past seasons.

Apparently the guys at iTunes that are creating the captures for the current season, which hasn't been done on DVD yet, are screwing up the frame rate slightly.

The BSGalactica stuff that was already done commercially on DVD was probably directly converted at the full frame rate, unlike the more choppy versions of this current year's episodes.

There is a chance, I guess, that whoever was tasked with converting the redone TOS Trek episodes is doing a better job then the people doing this season's BSGalactica episodes.

I guess the point of this ramble is: How is the frame rate on the remastered Trek episodes? Is it a full 30 frames per second at NTSC resolution, when watching it on your computer?

Another question is, hasn't CBS been upgrading the 3D model of the Enterprise and other ships throughout the season?

Last I heard they intend to plug in the improved models and go back and redo the redos before they sell the final HD discs.

Not only are you buying the low res versions, but it is probable that that the redone effects will yet again be redone and what you are getting now will not be the final version.

If I'm wrong on any of what I've heard about the current reworks not being final, please anybody with better or newer info let us know.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
I've downloaded all the season 3 BSGalactica.

I've connected my PC to my TV.

One time I tried to convert the MPEG4 itunes files to Divx directly.

Two different programs have examined the iTunes file and claim(even before trying to convert it) it is 23.something frames per minute, which makes sense as the video is very slightly choppy when playing in full quality on my computer/TV.
Chuck,
What tool do you use to convert the BSG from itunes?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
heiki said:
Chuck,
What tool do you use to convert the BSG from itunes?
I bought a VGA to SVideo output device from CompUSA online.
I had tried to do it in software, but all the software I attempted to use while capable of reading the file, couldn't directly convert it to DiVx or any other format readable directly in a standard DVD player.

Several programs claimed to be able to do the conversion, but every one of them crashed. Many can convert to iTunes' MPEG4 format, but I haven't seen one that can convert directly from iTunes to a format readable in a regular DVD player.

So I went the hardware method.

I use a Monster Cable brand

(important to get a very heavily shielded one when pluging into a PC sound card - my computer at least causes a hum unless plugging in speakers or cord with heavy shielding or a ferroid bead near the end)

heavily shielded 1/8th inch stereo to RCA left and right male cable to go from my sound card "line out" connection to the Left and right audio inputs on my standalone DVD recorder.

The 1/8th Stereo To RCA L/R one I bought from Monster Cables(Radio Shack, Circuit City, CompUSA carries that brand) is a hair under 20 feet long. However I haven't seen Monster Cables sell one that long in awhile, I checked for you online and don't see it listed.

However you can get a shorter one(about 7 feet), here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2477709&cp=2032058.2032228.2032251&pg=1&allCount=101&fbn=Price%2F%2410.00+-+%2449.99&fbc=1&y=5&retainProdsInSession=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00001000%2F00004999&x=12&numProdsPerPage=80&parentPage=family

and then get a longer set of heavy shielded RCA to RCA cables,

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032251&cp=2032058.2032228&allCount=101&f=PAD%2FCable+Type%2FRCA&fbx=0&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00001000%2F00004999&fbn=Price%2F%2410.00+-+%2449.99

that you can connect together with a good set of couplers:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2421173&cp=&sr=1&origkw=RCA+female+to+female&kw=rca+female+to+female&parentPage=search

You can get a fairly long SVideo cable with little signal loss if it's decently shielded.

Checkout the ones available here:

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?numProdsPerPage=100&cp=2032058.2032228&categoryId=2032245&pg=1&retainProdsInSession=1&x=12&y=7

I'd make sure that not only are the cables heavily shielded but have gold connectors too.(Most well shielded cables have gold connectors, but not all cables with gold connectors have decent shielding).

The VGA to SVideo output device I bought(does regular video connection too but S-Video is twice the quality output and can be run at greater distances without signal loss) is this one from CompUSA:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=grandtec+TV+scan+converter&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=grandtec+TV+scan+converter&Ntk=All&product_code=51255156&Pn=Ultimate2000_PC_To_TV_Scan_Converter

Their picture is slightly different but all the specs are accurate.

Since NTSC quality is 480 lines vertical(515 actually but only 480 vertical lines are visible in an NTSC broadcast, the extra info is instructions to the receiver) I reset my monitor to 640 x 480 resolution at 60hz, then set iTunes on full screen during playback.

While I watched the video on my TV I first connected it to my DVD recorder and recorded a copy on DVD while watching.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just buy an AppleTV and fill it up with all the episodes. And then buy them again when iTunes puts up the HD versions of TOS-R shows.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hey has my avatar been remastered too?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
James B. Elliott said:
Just buy an AppleTV and fill it up with all the episodes. And then buy them again when iTunes puts up the HD versions of TOS-R shows.
I'll ignore the cost issue there.

And again perhaps you are being fecious about buying HD downloads.

Personally I like to have DVDs that can play in regular DVD players so buying an "Apple TV" would just be a waste of money in my opinion, since I can connect my TV and DVD recorder to my computer directly.

Considering the resolution difference, I doubt they will be selling HD versions online.

45 minute at 23.x fps BSGalactica episodes at regular resolution, slightly choppy video comes out to be about 450MB.

HD has about five times that resolution.

Who is going to buy HD episodes without being able to record them onto a disk that will play at full HD? Aside from the multi-gig download issue.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
BTWay for copying already purchased DVD's I recently bought DVD Cloner IV. It copies titles that no other DVD program seems to.

Even lets you copy dual layer disks to single layer disks!

The only problems I've heard of is from people who didn't have Intel processors.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chuck_P.R. said:
BTWay for copying already purchased DVD's I recently bought DVD Cloner IV. It copies titles that no other DVD program seems to.

Even lets you copy dual layer disks to single layer disks!

The only problems I've heard of is from people who didn't have Intel processors.
Where can you purchase DVD Cloner IV?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'm not sure where you can get it retail, but there are a few places that sell it on the net. You can get it direct from the manufacturer over the net for download.

There are a couple of places that sell it for download for less money then I paid, but I wanted an original disk so I paid about $70.

Here is their website:

www.DVD-Cloner.com

The only cavaet I'd offer is that I wouldn't buy it unless you are using an Intel brand processor.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chuck,appreciate the website info. I do have an Intel Processor in my computer. Can't wait to try this out next payday.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
One point I would make,

it does say it on their website,

but let me say it myself because I later saw people complaining about it in a forum,

It is a program for copying DVD's.

They don't claim that it creates DVD's from raw video of any type.

It's for copying DVD's of all the types they have listed, and for converting them to all the formats they have listed.

It's not for making DVDs from raw video you have recorded yourself.

It's a copying/protection stripping program.

N.B. Also I always use the hard drive option to copy the DVD to the hard drive first, as some people have said they have had problems when one of their DVD's buffers conflicted with the other(when they have two DVD's in their system).

·
Registered
741 Posts
All this debate considered, I've downloaded several remastered eps from iTunes. Very good quality for watching it on my iMac. Not widescreen, I've noticed, but no noticable pixellation, artifacts, frame issues, etc. I'll say that CBS will not release the best quality to iTunes because they want you to buy the DVD when available. Also, agreed that to download true HD, even on my high-speed connection, would be rediculous. I'm seeing an average of 55 minutes per download as is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts