Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Hank for allowing slightly :)p ) OT threads! I know Brent is the man when it comes to TV's, but he has commented that the sound side of things is not completely up his alley. So, just wondering if anyone has opinions on small speakers for Surround sound set up. Size is more important than price. There doesn't seem to be as much out there when it comes to speakers (compared to say plasma's / LCD's) and BOSE doesn't seem to get great reviews. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have a Sony home theatre in-a-box setup that I really like. I picked it up at Best Buy for around $500 several years ago. The 5-disc DVD player's component outputs fried after two years, so I picked up their upgraded player and moved the old one downstairs with my old TV. It came with 4 small speakers, one center channel speaker, and a powered subwoofer. The sound quality is very nice and it can handle quite loud volumes without distortion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been very happy with my Polk Audio RM6700s, which I've owned for 3 years. The speakers are small but they sound good for movies.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I'm using 4 JBL 4311 Studio monitors I got cheap from EvilBay. They will run on as little as 15 watts a channel, and do GREAT on 50 per channel. No sub needed!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
747 said:
and BOSE doesn't seem to get great reviews. Cheers!
When I used to moonlight at a Circuit City years ago, a favorite saying among the stereo geeks was "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!".

The general consensus seems to be their marketing is outstanding for a mediocre and over-priced product.'least it was 5-6 years ago.

I've got a nice set of Acoustic Research for my left, right, and center, and a ol' pair of sony's for the rear.

I've had the Acoustic Research speakers since my first VHS "surroundsound" set-up, and am very happy with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts