Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be terrific if someone were to make some aluminum Harry Potter style magic wands that were turned on a lathe or something. Can titanium be machined?

anyway, I checked Google. All I got was pron and some magician's wands (the black kind with the white ends).

I'd like to get my nieces something nice for Christmas.

I think brass, aluminum and titanium would be nice, especially titanium because you can color it with heat or electricity.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yes it can be machined

You can drill it with high speed steel
Regular c-1/c-4 carbide tools work great for turning
Its hard to work on milling machines because the chips tend to weld themselves cutter and when they fall out the tooth breaks.
You need a good h-3/h-4 tolerable tap and gunstyle taps work because chips tend to smear the metal if they trail the tap.
If you're going to grind it, use a variable speed grinder and keep it slow.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh neat. Cool!

Now I gots to get me a lathe!

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that a metal turning machine?

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got this notion where if I could make them light enough to wield in a costume/theatrical way by hollowing out the metal bar and adding male and female threading to the wand and handle respectively, I could set up a web-site where someone could pick and choose which metal and in what color they'd like their handle or wand to be.

Let's say someone wants a bronze handle with an aluminum wand (which I think would look very handsome), I could do that for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts