Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
My understanding of this event is that they launched into the outer atmosphere and then the cargo comes back to earth via parachute - so his ashes didn't go into outer space. I find it "fascinating" that none of the news outlets are telling the whole story (except for some chick on Fox that was there when they launched...)

Most of his ashes were scattered in Washington - Puget Sound.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
thrakkorzog said:
My understanding of this event is that they launched into the outer atmosphere and then the cargo comes back to earth via parachute - so his ashes didn't go into outer space. I find it "fascinating" that none of the news outlets are telling the whole story (except for some chick on Fox that was there when they launched...)

Most of his ashes were scattered in Washington - Puget Sound.
I believe the launch vehicle comes back via parachute.

I've read that it was a sub-orbital flight. But not whether or not the rocket made it into space.

Because an object doesn't achieve a permanent orbit doesn't mean it didn't go into space. Maybe it did. It might not have. But I believe an object can be suborbital and still considered to have made it into space, depending on the altitude.

I think a disgruntled X-15 pilot proved that possible. :)

But you are right that there doesn't seem to be enough details in these stories to answer all of these questions. We shouldn't have to guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts