Hobbyist Forums banner

OT-Science Fair

879 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Lloyd Collins 
#1 ·
I am enrolled in an online school that goes hand in hand with my main education. Coming up, there will be a "Virtual Science Fair." I dont know if I will even participate, but I do think it would be interesting to try. Basically, I do some sort of experiment, and then put my results on a PowerPoint. My problem is coming up with ideas. Does anyone have any thoughts on something that could be explored in this regard? I dont want anything that would be considered cheating, I just need help brainstorming to see if I even want to do this.

#4 ·
Well, like I said, I dont want all the information, just brainstorming. A high school project is what we are looking at. I cant use harmful chemicals or explosives or anything interesting like that. One idea was making a lava lamp by putting some sort of liquid in a bottle with water and adding heat.

#7 ·
The lava lamp may constitute a dangerous endeavor since the real Lava Lamps use wax, oil and high heat.

I'm helping my son reseacrch his. We are doing the effect of wind resistance and drag. We are using model rockets. One is being built plain, right out of the kit with blunted fins and a blunted nose cone. The second, identical kit will be primed, sanded and painted to make for the smoothest airflow possible and we are going to compare the differences in altitude between the two launches.

#8 ·
The idea of the model rockets sound good, if only I could get some model rockets. The idea of drag, however, may be utilized in other ways...

If I had an airplane, I would put it on a giant treadmill and put it on full throttle and see if the plane took off. Too bad Im not a pilot...

As far as the lava lamp, my theory is that even though you would need plenty of heat, anything that is denser than the water and stays together in gooey clumps will rise, and then cool and sink, blah blah blah.

#12 ·
Ohio Southpaw wrote:
I'm helping my son reseacrch his. We are doing the effect of wind resistance and drag. We are using model rockets. One is being built plain, right out of the kit with blunted fins and a blunted nose cone. The second, identical kit will be primed, sanded and painted to make for the smoothest airflow possible and we are going to compare the differences in altitude between the two launches.
Won't you will have to account for the additional weight from the primer and paint? It will be added weight, and therefore require additional fuel just to reach the same altitude as the unpainted one. Not a great deal of fuel, but a little more. Right?

#14 ·
nx-o1troubles said:
...If I had an airplane, I would put it on a giant treadmill and put it on full throttle and see if the plane took off. Too bad Im not a pilot...
WARNING: The following contains sarcasm, a substance known to the State of California to irritate forum moderators.

You could rent an aircraft carrier, and put an airplane on its deck. Then, make the carrier go 200 MPH, or so. That way, you could measure the drag of the plane through the air, and make the carrier take off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.