Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
While not a hot topic on this forum, 'Real Space' is just that...real. Science Fiction characters dazzle us, real characters WOW us! Dr. Sally Ride, the first of her kind. RIP.

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
You simply HAVE to love a role model-type that lives up to and even beyond the hype. She was a class-A top notch inspiration from the start! I was shocked and saddened to learn of her illness. Rest in peace and thank you Sally Ride... God Speed

·
Registered
557 Posts
She wrote a book for kids about being an astronaut -- To Space and Back. I must have taken that book out of the library at least a thousand times...

I miss her already. 7-year-old me misses her even more. :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
She wrote a book for kids about being an astronaut -- To Space and Back. I must have taken that book out of the library at least a thousand times...

I miss her already. 7-year-old me misses her even more. :(
My parents bought me that book when I was a kid. I only recently tried to get rid of it at a garage sale. It didn't sell, and I'm very thankful it didn't. :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
To add insult to injury, there's been a lot more talk around town about her sexuality than her achievements. :( She's the same age as my mother. It seems that a lot of people are dying from pancreatic cancer in California. A few celebrities have anyway. I just wonder if there's something in the water? Who knows! Either way, this brought back a lot of memories from back in the day. It's sad that she died at such a middle age rather than twenty years from now. More people are dying in their sixties that were born in the fifties these days. I wonder if there's a connection? Now knowing that the government sprayed the U.S. with cadmiun sulfide in our city, I wonder if everyone will die from pancreatic cancer that was alive at that time?

Despite all that, I'm still having pictures of outerspace, and the space shuttle going through my head as I write this. I can't help but think of The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi along with Alien when I harken back to the time when she first went into outerspace. That was a magical time for me as science was my first love, and my first subject when I was in school. It's too bad that the shuttle program is now scrapped. This is a by-gone era, and she was one of my first memories of it. Good bye just doesn't seem fitting.....

~ Chris​

1 - 9 of 9 Posts