Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I just recently bought this very rare huge vintage star trek 4 the voyage home poster (29.5 x 45!) off of e-bay. I was lucky to find this, it was hidden very well. This was an orginal theater poster from 1986 I believe, I was shocked when I got it to see "Beaming down Nov 26". I'm thinking this poster was a promotion poster for the outside of theater's or video store, probably to big for a video store? I tried searching more of the like, but cant find any. It's got an N.S.S number unlike others. I'm still shocked. What do you guys think it was used for, I know probably theaters...but where

I can take some better pictures if you wish.
Can't believe the quality its in! I mean it does show wear and tear but not to bad. Anyone here a poster collector?

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's extremely cool, and i can tell you , it's a theatrical poster, NOT a video poster. that film was a thanksgiving release. i remember seeing it late on thanksgiving day.....and again the next day, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wish I could have saw it in the theaters :(, pretty darn young back in those days--to young to be intrested in trek I guess. Anyway I have been trying to look it up with the NSS number and have found a similar one but nothing that says "Beaming Down Nov 26". This must really be rare or something. Do you remember seeing the promo poster outside the theater?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's a theater movie teaser poster I have one plus the one sheet (movie poster when I worked at the theaters many moons ago

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, idman..did the teaser poster say "Beaming Down to earth Nov 26" . You don't happend to know the N.S.S number so we can see if it matches. Does it have the NSS logo?, cause this one doesn't..some don't I think. Also what was the size?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
It may be a teaser poster because of the date, but I'm pretty sure they used the same graphics as the regular theater poster.

·
Registered
331 Posts
(Quote)So, idman..did the teaser poster say "Beaming Down to earth Nov 26" . You don't happend to know the N.S.S number so we can see if it matches. Does it have the NSS logo?, cause this one doesn't..some don't I think. Also what was the size?(Quote)

yes it did have the saying we would display it in the coming soon window. I worked that day when it came out and we had the theater all decked out and everyone was in costume there was a large cut out standee that came with it. The one sheet poster does not have the saying on the bottom. as for the numbers all my ST movie posters are in virginia in my mothers store room

·
Registered
331 Posts
fiercegaming said:
Alright Thanks idman. So the one you used in the coming soon window did indeed look like this?

Yep and I just found a site the has info on one sheet posters there were no NSS # on ST4 the poster Measures 27x40

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the one sheets are 27 x 40. This is a 29.5 (or so) x 45. I looked up the NSS and came up with the same poster only it had no "beaming down to earth nov 26" on it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cool poster. I have a reprint, though I don’t think mine has the November date.

This was one of the few Trek films that I did not see opening weekend.

And why? Because I promised the girl I was dating at the time that I would see it with her. There was some reason (I can’t recall now; something family related, I think) that she couldn’t go for a couple of weeks.

I finally did see it with her, though I don’t think she ever really appreciated the sacrifice I made for her!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Atleast you two got to see it :). I am glad I brought some good memories back to mind.

Anyone know where I could get a not to expensive frame? I will probably have to custom make it :( .

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Sorry, guys. That's the "regular" poster.

This is the teaser. I know, I have two of them that I acquired
in 1986 when the movie was in theaters and they switched to the new
poster featuring the Golden Gate bridge with the Bird of Prey.

:cool:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When I search the teaser that one came up..however it shows beaming down dec 12. Wierd. I'm sure the movie came out Nov 26. You say its the regular which it is (it looks like it) but it says "Beaming Down Nov 26", thats got to be a teaser or promo poster. Idman said he hung it in the coming soon box. I guess not all theaters are the same? Me confused. :freak:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I believe the movie was released November 26, plus Idman worked at a theatre at that time and said it was released close to thanksgiving, so I don't think it got moved up. Anyway, that is probably how the original looked, but it didn't have when it was coming out at the bottom, because those "regular" posters were in movie theaters when the movie was playing. The poster I have came out and was shown before the movie came out. The poster shows age, because the white in the poster has yellowed and the back of the poster has marks and shows age as well. While 29.5 X 45 is an odd size, there are other orginal one sheets that have been made for other movies as well that size. The poster with the Dec 12, must have been the teaser, because the date was wrong, that must have been shown before the movie came out as well, only before the one with Nov 26 on it.

Alright I kind of ranted on....atleast that is what makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The teaser poster was displayed months before the release
of the movie. Paramount planned a December 12 opening day.

A decision was made to move the release closer to Thanksgiving.
Hence, the new date on the "regular" posters.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts