Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,My Father passed away this past Saturday.I live in NYC and was rushed out on an emergency flight to Arizona(Phoenix)where My Father lives.A few memories to share with you.In 1970 my Dad built me my first AMT USS Enterprise kit and my second one as well.He jump started me into model building.In 1980,I wanted the first movie USS Enterprise so much,The Lesney/AMT Enterprise First Movie Model,my father made a special trip to Brooklyn to get it for me.He was a good man,He'll never leave me completley.Take Care,Guy S.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Please accept my deepest sympathies. I hope you find comfort in your memories with him.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
Sorry, Guy. Been there recently too. Sucks big time. :(

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
My deepest sympathies; never forget him and everything he taught you.
"Life is too short, even if you live to be a hundred, so make the most of it while you've still got it."
-My dad, 1925-2000

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sympathies.

Lost my dad when I was only 16. They never leave us really.

He always would buy me kits and be very supportive of my model building. Always he was the first one I would show a completed "masterpiece" too.
I remember him helping me string up the Enterprise nacelles so they wouldn't sag.
I would build models of the military aircraft he worked on too.

"To speak the name of the dead is to make them live again." -ancient Egyptian tomb inscription

·
Registered
158 Posts
guy, to paraphrase a certain old country doctor in the 23rd century "he really isnt dead, as long as we remember him"

my condolences.

·
Registered
331 Posts
TOS Maniac said:
guy, to paraphrase a certain old country doctor in the 23rd century "he really isnt dead, as long as we remember him"
Amen.. Lost my father when I was 5 He built my first TOS Enterprise.

R

·
0 Posts
My condolences sir.
My ole dad was never a maniac modeler like me but his efforts got me into it aswell, i lost him over 10 years ago.
His encouragment to me in my efforts never faltered and spirit still remains with me.
The treasured memories of my dad never fade, i belive the same will be true with the memories your father.

Physically gone but in heart and mind, there always.

Take care

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Been there myself, Guy.

You and your father seem to have gotten along way better then mine and I ever did - but a dad is a dad and only time will heal the pain thoroughly, if not completely.

Building models was one of the few things my dad and I ever did together.

I can still remember him first taking me to an old local model shop when I was about seven years old, and I treasure my memories of going there with him through my childhood.

It's a great thing that you were able to share your love of Star Trek and he his hobby of modeling.

I'd be willing to bet that many many sci-fi modelers have similar stories of dads who got them started in model building, so really I think this thread is very appropriately placed.

When I was a kid I modeled out of imagination of the future. As an adult, I mostly model out of nostalgia and because it helps me enjoy the memories of my past.

If you don't still have one of each of those old AMT models, go ahead and treat yourself when you can and keep them somewhere prominent in your home.

As long as you have your memories of him, your dad will never truly be gone.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, Guy.
My condolences to you and your family.
I do remember my dad putting an AMT Enterprise together for me with PVC cement or something like that. I lost him when I was only 20...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Losing a parent is hard, you have my condolences Guy.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Sincere condolences, Guy. You're fortunate to have such fond memories of your father. My own dad passed away years ago, but his spirit lives on in my heart, and I wish the same for you.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your loss...I know the pain you are feeling, Lost my dad 8 years ago this october...Still feels like yesterday when I last spoke to him.He will never leave you.My deepest sympathies go out to you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts