Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone got into my yahoo mail account (while I slept) and changed my password. If you get any emails from me asking for money or such PLEASE disregard. I was told that they sometimes contact everyone in the address book and solicit money. I am sorry for any inconvience this causes. They also hacked my PayPal account and bought a Playstation3 ($685 shipped) on Ebay. I might have caught the deed before the transaction went through..my bank wasn't showing it yet and put a stop payment on it. What a nightmare cancelling credit cards, bank accounts, changing passwords, etc. So, much for virus and spyware protection. Sorry for the long-windedness. I feel so violated.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
oh man, i hope they catch the bastard and string him up high. this is the new form of rape and they should be treated with as much distain as any pedophile would be

sorry to hear the news.

hey.... if they contact one of us, we should try to see if we can trap them somehow

·
Duke Dave of Sealand
2,879 Posts
Man that sucks Jerry. I had my CC card lifted a couple of months back caught it right away because I only use one account online and never keep a lot in there. Bank of America cleared it up right away and issued me all new cards within a week. Nothing else got taken I figured it was one of those transaction copys in a resturant or a random num generator as i have had no problems since but I know exactly how you fell and I still check my accounts daily now and I imagine will be parinoid till I get a tad more senile then I already am.

Coach

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
once in the same week I placed orders with RRR and Motorcitytoyz, totalling about 450.00. I got a call because they figured something went wrong because I really don't spend alot at one time. That was in the good old days, now they don't care if I blow 2,000.00 on autoworld cars.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My CC is always showing a fraud alert

My credit card company has a low threshold for fraud alerts. I get them about once a month.

One time I was in Costa Rica and rented a car. It only cost $100 for a three day rental but they charge 1K in case of a problem. There I was in another country and they shut down my card. My spanish was not up to the task but fortunately I had enogh cash to get by for a few days. Turns out a couple bucks lasts a long time in the country side there.

Last year when gas prices spiked, everytime I filled my truck the pump would shut down at $75. I'd have to swipe the card again and pump another $10 or so. Everytime I would have to deal with a fraud call. I have yet to deal with this on he most recent spike in prices as I've been driving the MINI and I've had the same tank of deisel for a month.

I am living for the day when I can buy enough slot cars to trip a fraud alert!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I feel ya

I know where you are comin from my freind. I once had my ebay account hacked. Looked at my auctions and there was a backhoe on my auctions for sale.. HHmmm..Big slotcar..LOl
It had to email another person for the auction info .. Caught it in time and ebay took care of it..
Nothing like some of you guys went through..

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Stay Pro-active!

Yep VJ's right! Nail their scrote to a stump and hand them a dull spoon!

Damn thats a drag Jerry! What a hassle.

Like Coach, I run my Paypal on an obscure ancient low limit account solely for on line stuff. Good luck to the theivin assholes when they try and squeeze blood from that turnip.

Yeah! I hear a lot of promises about security... Blah blah blah. I will never use on line service for my financials. NEVER!!!!!

Yeah! Remember when the computer and online services were billed as the second coming of the wheel, fire, sliced bread and la-tee-da! Unfortunately it has created a new avenue for theives, scumbags, bunko artists, and con games.

If I dont know ya, you will be deleted! No exceptions. If you wind up in my bulk mail, sorry 'bout your luck. You will be flushed daily! Nuthin' personal gang. It's a matter of self preservation!

I check my paypal history daily, religously! It's a hassle for sure, but nuthin' like Win's going through now.

I cant count the number of potential scams, spoofs, and suspciuos stuff that has come through. We are currently using Yahoo. Probably not for long as it has been compromised since the first of the year, when the bullshit really ramped up. I'm fed up, but I'm really happy to learn that I've won the UK Lottery, also I've inherited $15,000,000 from some dude, and have been exclusively chosen for sure fire financial oppurtunities.

So I guess I'll see all you peons later. :wave:

I'm gonna buy every slot I the world! ;)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I had my share check visda lifted just recently. Saw a .34 charge for Yahoo Voice and did some research and figured out some one had lifted my number and contacted my bank for a new card a couple days latter in comes a 100.00 charge for Penny Talk against the same car put processed before I contacted the bank. I contacted PennyTalk and got refunded and guess whre the charge came from? Vietnam. seems there phone system isn't too good but every village has a computer and they use stolen credit car numbers for their phone service.

I check my bank account almost every day just to make sure no one has ny number.

Roger Corrie

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
618 Posts
Really sad for you Jerry...I would be totally pissed if that happen to me !!

Just wondering, how many of you who have had problems like spyware, malicious softwares installed on your computer and sensbile data account stolen are on PC and how many are on Macintosh ??
As every of you probably, I also receive tons of spam and unsollicited mails with clickable shit and stuff like that...

But since 1996 I'm connected everyday, I never had any problems like this (and you might know that since this time I'm on a Macintosh - before that in fact)

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Spyware and all the protective programs in the world won't save you from the number one way these idiots get your paypal/ebay account passwords........If you get a mailing from ebay or paypal asking you to sign in and update something AND YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME ARE NOT ON THAT MAIL, ITS A FRAUD, and it's the way alot of hackers get into your account.

I had one last week that was in response to something I bid on (and I did not bid on it) I was frusterated and went to sign in to see what in the hell I supposedly just bid on. A fake, but it got me. I immediately changed my password and wrote them a letter calling them every name in the book. lol scumbags, and just like Rogers problem, most of these hacks are tiny penis orientals.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
According to epay, they won't send you an email asking for users to divulge account info or fix something. If they need to get intouch, they do it through their internal message feature which allows authorized epay users and epay to contact each other in epay world. If I get something supposedly from epay, i go to epay first and check for messages right on the MYEBAY page. If there's not one there, it's a fake and I forward to epay spoof department. rr

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I always report the spoofs to. [email protected].. and with paypal too. I just want there to be long record of my compliance, just in case of a problem down the road.

for example:

"but your honor, we here at ebay protect our customers, but we can't do that if they don't follow our procederes and report phishing schemes when they get them"

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I agree VJ, It may be your nail that finishes some crooks coffin. I go out of my way to pound every one I get. Diligence catches crooks!

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never respond to any of those emails. They go right into the delete unopened. I was told they can run a dictionary program searching for password words. Some type of password cracking code. Had a bulk email today Subject line was: you have bought diamonds from diamondland. Didn't open it..DELETED. Paypal has been changed, credit card cancelled, checking account changed also. All new passwords. Looks like I caught it before it went through...money was taken out..put on hold(guess i caught it)...and hopefully put back into my bank account.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I guess I am glad I am somewhat paranoid about online stuff.

I never save passwords or allow computer to autofill forms. never stay logged on. I do no online banking whatsoever, do that by phone. I love those "real" emails from pay pal and e bay, I forward them to spoof too. Haven't had any trouble with epay or pay pal, but they are not tied into my household checking account, nor a second rate CC. (IMHO Amex is worth every penny of their annual fee. Ever get stuck with somebody else's bar bill on your "updated" hotel folio post check out?)

I have had so many wealthy, unknown, heirless relatives die in car wrecks in Nigeria that it is unnerving. I am never, ever going to Nigeria for any reason whatsoever - I am afraid I will be next. However, I do sometimes answer these emails sent to me by some altruistic barrister - in mock Cyrillic. Had one reply, "Please speak English." Speak? I said I was "speaking" gibberish BS, just like he was, and forwarded him jokes for some time afterward.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am not sure how, but my wife had her bank card information stolen. The bank caught it right way and contacted her. We stopped it before anything happened. A few days later, she received a call from Dell computers confirming her order for 8 high tech cameras at close to $400 each. She told them that she never ordered them. Dell called after the items were shipped! They had her cell phone number, home phone, etc. It was purchased with a new credit card. We had to contact the local police and file a report. We asked if police would be on the other end where the cameras were being shipped to catch the rat bastard. They said no, the perps use abandonded homes or other schemes to get the goods, so they weren't going to bother contacting the police in Michigan to trap the guy.
From there, we cancelled everything and had to put a hold on new credit through the Big 3 credit firms. We now have to go through some hoops to get my wife any credit, so I guess there is a bright side to this!

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts