Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!

Have been watching the morning news.

I hope FourMadMen and the rest of you East Coast guys are okay!

From the Carolinas up through New Jersey the storms are really hitting a lot of people hard.

Not to mention some of you west of New Orleans in the Texas area who were already hit.

Hope everybody is okay and comes away with no damage.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanx for your concern!
I'm from New Jersey and everything is just soaked! It is absolutely pouring! Roads are flooded and impassable. At my place of work, half of the staff called out because of the weather. The school where I work at for an after-school program is closed. All we need now is to build an ark, my sister and co-workers are gathering the animals!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yea, pretty much under water here as well. And the rivers are not expected to crest until tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Stay safe. I won't bother telling you to stay dry. I hope, at the very least, you don't get water in your homes.

Other then via a slightly damaged roof, I've fortunately been spared that in the past, but I know from friends whose houses I've helped gut that that's a pain.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
While we are on the subject of natural disasters like fires and floods and I have your attention, let me say that I've learned that you can never be sure when and where the kind of disaster that would easily destroy memories can happen.

Homes and cars can be replaced. But often photographs and home movies can not be replaced. How many of us are as bad as keeping the photographs in not just the same place but the same envelope as the negatives?

I know there are literally tens of thousands of people in New Orleans who would have gladly lost twice as much property had they just been able to save their photos, films, and memories.

I hope that while I have you thinking about it, all of you will decide to take
some extra steps to protect your memories - photos, family home movies, etc.

Maybe even consider emailing friends and put the bug in their ear.

Even if it is as simple as putting your negatives(or backup copies if they are
digital) in a safe, off-site location like a bank vault or somewhere else safe.

Maybe trade backup copies of family pics and videos with out of state relatives in case either of you have a flood or fire.

You should never take your memories for granted. A fire can happen in seconds giving you no time or warning to save pictures or family videos.

Flooding, while not as common as fire in most areas, can do the same thing.

I had tons of paper stuff ruined by someone(s) who apparently went through
everything, threw it everywhere and stomped it in the process, but never stole anything that I could tell.

I was fortunate as it was just inexpensive reprints and lithographs, nothing of
any great value, though they had value to me. Guess those who trashed the place were looking for cash or were just plain nosey.

Anyhow, I'm thankful my family photo albums were at least untouched by them.

Many people who I know have lost all of their family photos/films due to flooding and/or mold. Two to three weeks in salt water plus mold does a pretty thorough job on most pictures, though some people whose photos weren't submerged for more then a day have been able to resurrect some pretty astounding photos from what seems like almost useless prints.

If you have the time and not a million print pictures to do, consider digitizing your stuff in high-resolution and putting it all on DVD's or CD's. If you do have a ton of them you want to keep there are services to do it for you.

If you have 8mm film or magnetic tape home movies that you care about get
multiple copies of them made on DVD if you can afford it. And keep them in two different locations, like an extra copy in a locked fire/waterproof box at work and an extra copy in a locked fire/waterproof box in your attic.

Trade copies with distant relatives out of state and hold them for one another.

I know several people who I sincerely believe would have more easily withstood loosing four times as much as they did monetarily if they had at least not lost all their photos of long gone parents, spouses, their childrens' pictures, etc.

If not a hurricane, a flood, tornado, or good-old-simple-fire can reach anyone's home at any moment of the day or night!

No one should take these unreplacable pieces of paper, film, and film reels for granted. The memories they evoke can never be replaced.

Once they are gone they are gone.

If you have the time now, write down "copy and protect my family pics and movies" and promise yourself to get started on it. Tell the wife and friends about it so maybe they'll either help or at the very least stay on you about it.

Then maybe you'll have a better chance of success then I do at getting in shape! :)

G

·
Methinks wise words there Chuck.
I'll most likely never have to endure the risk weather wise a lot of you goodly folks have to.

Take care now.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Perhaps, but there is always fire, naturally occuring or accidentally started.

So please consider backing up your memories by making/saving copies of them.

[Sorry, stepping off of soap box now. :)]

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
It's always a good idea, especially when we're talking about computer related files. I need to get a new scanner and scan in all those old pics of mine so that I can burn them to disc, as well as the external Hd.

I know of a couple of folks who dabble w/making their own decals - as well as at least one guy who does so as a business - who had their Hd fail and they lost a lot of images and programs that they'd never backed up. That means you've got to go back and re-do all of that work. When you're talking graphics it can be hours and hours worth of work just for one decal layout.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Last week we got hit with that killer snow storm that gave us lots and lots of snow. However it melted right away and flooding started in some areas...not as bad as some of you guys are getting right now I suppose. Chucks got a point in backing up your photos etc. Especially if you have a lot on your computer I know I do. I have about a few gigs of photos and videos on my computer that I could backup to an external hdd. I do a lot of video editing so that shouldn't be a problem (need like a friggin tarabyte for editing videos etc). Wish you guys the best.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those of you who don't think they'll have enough time to scan all their print pictures or negatives at high res, see if you can locate all the negatives and get a couple of reprints of each.

Then at least store a set of them at other locations.

It sounds like trite [sp?] advice, but I know at least a dozen people personally who wish they had done so after Katrina.

Again, it doesn't take a storm to do it. Fires happen every day.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Griffworks said:
It's always a good idea, especially when we're talking about computer related files. I need to get a new scanner and scan in all those old pics of mine so that I can burn them to disc, as well as the external Hd.

I know of a couple of folks who dabble w/making their own decals - as well as at least one guy who does so as a business - who had their Hd fail and they lost a lot of images and programs that they'd never backed up. That means you've got to go back and re-do all of that work. When you're talking graphics it can be hours and hours worth of work just for one decal layout.
I know that feeling. My harddrive was fried by a storm.

On it was a folder that I had where I had meticulously scanned in and retouched each and every page of the Moonbase Alpha Technical manual. About 90 pages of scanning and retouching to get each image as clear as possible.

I got most of the other files I had back because I had shared them with others who then emailed me back copies, but each file of the MATManual had been scanned at 720dpi and each page quite huge so I hadn't shared it yet.

I don't see myself redoing that project anytime soon, at least at that quality level. :(

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fiercegaming said:
Last week we got hit with that killer snow storm that gave us lots and lots of snow. However it melted right away and flooding started in some areas...not as bad as some of you guys are getting right now I suppose. Chucks got a point in backing up your photos etc. Especially if you have a lot on your computer I know I do. I have about a few gigs of photos and videos on my computer that I could backup to an external hdd. I do a lot of video editing so that shouldn't be a problem (need like a friggin tarabyte for editing videos etc). Wish you guys the best.
Great idea. But be careful to store your family stuff on DVD as well if you can. You never know when a mechanical hard drive will fail. I had a friend who backed up constantly to a hdd that he had a bay installed into his tower to unplug and plug it in.

Trouble was, he never took the removable hard drive out of his tower's slot.
Sure enough, he got a surge and blew both!:rolleyes:

I know it's not practical to do a terrabyte that way, but I'd at least do the family pics and video on DVD as well as hdd if you can.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trekfreak said:
Thanx for your concern!
I'm from New Jersey and everything is just soaked! It is absolutely pouring! Roads are flooded and impassable. At my place of work, half of the staff called out because of the weather. The school where I work at for an after-school program is closed. All we need now is to build an ark, my sister and co-workers are gathering the animals!
Hope you are doing okay.

I just heard that 1400 people have been evacuated from New Jersey.

Good luck!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,316 Posts
Our weekend in South Carolina visiting my Mom turned into an extra day thanks to all the flight cancellations. The wife freaked out a bit, and Mom occupied our extra time by falling and breaking her arm. The Okonee Memorial emergency waiting room is like one big Jeff Foxworthy joke on the hoof. (She's okay, small break near the shoulder, no cast, has to keep it immobilized for a few months)

We finally got home today after almost everything going wrong between airline delays and missing limos, to find half our basement (the half opposite the side with the sump pump) soggy. A few kits that were stored under furniture got their boxes soaked, but so far it looks like only one lost decal sheet.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome home!

You left some of your collection unprotected on the floor of a basement? :eek:

Forty lashes with a wet model kit!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope everyone came through the Nor'Easter okay.
I saw that Trekfreak posted today.

Raist3001 hasn't posted since about when he posted the message above.

FourMadMen hasn't posted here in Eons it seems...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I got a PM from Tony/Raist3001. He's fine, just a bit of flooding in the basement.

I noticed about two weeks ago that 4MM hasn't been here in over a month. I shot him an email about two weeks ago, but haven't received a response.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Glad to here Raist is okay. I've emailed FourMadMen too. Maybe you'll have better luck then I have.

Anyhow, good to know most of the members here came through okay, with the exception of a few of John P.'s boxes & decals. :thumbsup:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,316 Posts
I don't know if any of you remember Lancer 1 who used to post here a few years ago, but I just spoke to him. He lives near the Ramapo River in NJ - well, so do I, but he's much lower and closer than I am. During Hurricane Floyd a few years ago, his whole neighborhood was underwater and he lost his whole model stockpile and tools 'cause his basement filled up right to the ceiling with river water.

Well, this time he got his stuff out in time, but exactly the same thing happened with the river. Once again, he has to replace his furnace, water heater, and A/C.

I guess I got off pretty easy.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,316 Posts
Oh, my list of what got soaked is short:

Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 Enterprise (wet box, no kit damage, box drying out nicely)

Tamiya 1/32 F-16 (Yeah, the new expensive kit) (Box very wet, but drying all right, if warped, decals undamaged because they were still in plastic)

Hasegawa 1/48 Arado 234 nightfighter (Would have been fine but there was a tear in the shrink wrap! Box soaked, decals ruined, but plastic fine)

A box of old store-bought VHS tapes that I've since replaced with DVD. Seasons of Xena and B5, Buffy episodes, Soap episodes, etc. I doubt the tapes are ruined, but I can't resell them with ruined sleeves.

My 6" cat telescope! Soaked box, but no damage.

I think the water only seeped in and soaked the carpet, I don't think I actually had any standing water of any depth.

Sorry I missed all the fun, anyway!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts