Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something that can do a good job of removing paint from a 1:48 scale B-1 Bomber. I want to repaint it and do a better job this time. I have 2 layers of crapped paint allready on there and I think it would be easier to remove and refurbish.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Cheaper to keep her.

Steve,

Good for you, wrestling with the model instead of just pitching it. Oddly enough, it seems that almost anything will remove model paint whether oil-based or acrylic. Here are several choices (and there are dozens more out there):

Castrol Brake Cleaner - comes recommended by none other than Dave Metzner. It's avaialble in quantity at auto parts stores. Find something like a disposable foil turkey pan or a cheap plastic box - any waterproof container large enough to hold your model. You soak the model in the Brake Cleaner for a few hours, then scrub off the paint with an old toothbrush (which you'll need with any remover). The great thing about this material is that it's reusable.

Easy Off Fume-Free Oven Cleaner - Nastier than the Brake Cleaner. Put your model in your container, then spray it with the Oven Cleaner. Cover the box and wait those few hours for the paint to soften, then scrub with the toothbrush. You should wear gloves, goggles, and a respirator when handling this stuff or any of the other removers, for that matter. You might have to give stubborn spots a second spray, or hit 'em with -

Poly S EZ Lift-Off - Which works pretty much like the other solvents. It may damage delicate plsatic parts, so I use it sparingly. Be aware that all these solvents will remove any putty as well as paint. Also, don't soak your model in them longer that overnight, or the removers may attack your glue joints also.

Good luck!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark,

Actually, I allways take my models apart during refurbishment so I don't have to worry about glue joints. This is the first refurbishment that I've decided to remove the paint. My orginial paint job is just aweful. I used a regular spray can paint instead of testors or an airbrush. This time I'm going to use an airbrush.

Thanks again!

Steve

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumb question,

What about throttle intake cleaner? I only ask because I have a can laying around and am totally broke.

Steve

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used an airbrush filled with Testors airbrush thinner. Worked pretty good, got most of the paint off, will try brake cleaner once I get some money. Anyone care to donate? :) Anyway the use of thinner is not recomended on a finshed model. It will destroy the glue joints if you used the cheap testor glue. The Testors Model Master glue held up real well. There were a few peices I put back together with the model master glue and they stayed put.

Will adivse of my refurbishment project. I'll try to get a few pics up on my website soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used the good 'ol Tesors airbrush thinner too. Watch out though, it will start to attack plastic. When in the course of your scrubbing you start seeing little balls of plastic with your paint, you better stop and try another plan. The first time I tried the thinner, I had the car body I was working on disintegrate in the area I was working. Oops.
Oven cleaner worked great on my resin and some platic kits, but it's nasty stuff. Get some on your hands, wash 'em off fast. That slick film you feel while you're washing your hands isn't soap... it's skin. Do wear gloves and eye protection and a respirator. When I use it, I just spray the parts and put them in a platic grocery bag and tie the bag off TIGHT. Then put that bag in another bag, not that the plastic bag gets eaten through but I'm never able to pick a bag that has no holes in it... there's always one. Then after a day-ish, put on your gloves and goggles and scrub away with a toothbrush or stiff nail brush.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was watching it very closely, when i began to see the plastic change color, I stopped. Just enough to take the paint off but not enough to destroy the plastic. Fortunatally, the palstic is pretty tough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do alot of model work with HO scale train eqipment. Mostly all plastic. To get paint off plastic safly and compleatly, the best thing I found, or was told, is regular brake fluid. It will peel the paint of anything and it wont touch plastic. Pour the beake fluid in a pan and submurge your parts. Let them sit over night. Sometimes, if there is a tight cranny that wants to hold onto bits of paint, then out comes the ol' tooth brush and that never fails. Next day wash the parts well with soap and water. Let the parts air dry so you don't risk catching lint from a cloth or paper towel on the plastic.

Hope this helps.

TrainClown :D

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
Tardis1916, when you get a couple bucks try this stuff. I really works great.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/dawn/dissolver.shtml

I just removed paint from a 1958 Aurora Porthos kit. I put a few pieces in an old plastic food container, sprayed the stuff on somewhat thick then covered with the lid and waited 24 hrs. or so. All of the old paint came off and most of it just slid off. During the rinse I lightly scrubbed with a toothbrush to get in the crevices.

This stuff is not nearly as noxious/caustic as oven cleaner. Also, you should consider wearing rubber gloves when the stuff will contact your hands. I didn't the first time and it did exfoliate my skin a bit. I hope this helps.

RK

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need Help

OK, brake cleaner removed some paint but attacked the plastic. Right now I'm looking at weeks of work, sanding down the paint and filling the dimples that have been put in the plastic. The paint in alot of areas bonded with the plastic. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Castrol Super Clean, the purple jug stuff for $7/gallon at Walmart. It was called brake cleaner earlier in the thread but is really a super degreaser that DOES NOT harm plastic. Wear gloves and eye protection, as it chows down on skin as well as paint and grease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts