Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my big Mobieus version, I was looking over the chrome J2 I still have..I have no idea what the best way to glue it together is.. anyone have any ideas, to keep the chrome look, but also securely glue it together?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Revell Germany has one of their Contacta glues that says it glues Chromed parts. I would just carefully scrape it off the glue surfaces (like you would remove paint) and use small amounts of your favorite model cement. Aside from the outer shell and legs there shouldnt be a lot of gluing with chrome.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the chrome J2 version.. the entire thing is chromed! Unfortuantely, when I got it I wasn't really reading the old PL build threads.. and come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one chrome J2 buildup!

I might just have to tdo a lot of dremel sanding drum sanding on glue connect points, but that seems like a ton of additional work.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I'd take all the parts that you dont want chromed and plop them in a bath of Super Clean (available at Wal Mart in the automotive section). That will remove the chrome and the varnish binder that fixes it to the plastic... then wash the parts and build as normal.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the idea of the chromed kit is to build an entire chromed J2, unless I guess someone would just want the outer hull in chrome.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I thought you were supposed to paint the inside and leave the outside chrome. I would not want a chrome one anyway in any form. I cant see having the inside chrome too.

Pimp My Jupiter 2

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The idea of the Chromed Jupiter 2 was to sell them to the collectors! polar Lights produced several limited edition kits mainly aimed at the collectors out there...

If you insist on building it - you'll need to scrape the plating off the mating surfaces off all the parts and use your favorite plastic cement.
BTW the only parts that should be chrome when you get done is the outside of the model - the interior should be painted just like the non chromed kits...

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts