Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I hope your all doing well. The reason I bring this up is because many businesses are cutting workers hours and in some cases eliminating jobs entirely. I have tightened up on my spending. I just last night purchased a Star Trek V Enterprise A model and I got a good price on it, $25.00 plus shipping. I have to be careful how I spend and I am not as free to spend money as I used to. For now I will buy hobby supplies as I need to for what projects I'm working on. I'm pretty sure the 1/350 Original Enterprise will still sell but I can't believe some people will buy it without making some money adjustment to their budget and cut out spending in other areas. The money is just not there like it used to be. Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Tell me about it. I graduated college in 2008 and finished my graduate studies in 2009, hoping to start a career as a history or English teacher. I've spent the last three years as a substitute teacher, barely able to pay my monthly bills. Expenses on hobbies are a rare thing in my household these days.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Fortunately I budgeted for the 1:350 and all the accessories so am in good shape. But I understand the pain. With the economy the way it is, there is no guarantee what tomorrow will bring at this point. If the economy crashes again, the 1:350 E kit will likely be the last of its kind no matter how well it sells.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Fortunately I budgeted for the 1:350 and all the accessories so am in good shape. But I understand the pain. With the economy the way it is, there is no guarantee what tomorrow will bring at this point. If the economy crashes again, the 1:350 E kit will likely be the last of its kind no matter how well it sells.
Me too. I have the money sitting in my safe so I don't spend it... been saving a bit every month so I have it when needed.

·
Banned
718 Posts
The economy is not just "bad," it's TERRIBLE. There are lots of (political) points which can be made about that, but thankfully, those are not permitted here (appropriately so, I think).

But it's getting really tough to justify spending money on, say, a magazine with pictures we'd like to see (see the thread on Gary Kerr's three-part article), even if our personal finances are still "OK" for the moment... since things are so unstable, it's nearly impossible to predict if our jobs will be here next week.

I'm dedicated to buying my "dream kit" (though I sure hope I won't have to spend a week or so filling in gridlines), but that's only because I'd be punching myself, later, if I missed out on something I've wanted since I was... well, a newborn, really.

I haven't bought anything else in the "hobby" realm in quite a while. Of course, I have a nice backlog of unfinished kits, most of which are of more interest to me than the currently available stuff.

I'm going to buy the 3-foot TOS Enterprise.. and if Moebius ever produces a TOS-Razor Cylon figure, I'll likely buy that straight away... but otherwise, my buying list is pretty short right now.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Times have been hard for some, but everything goes in cycles and things will improve for you, just keep working at it and don't give up! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Time have been hard for some, but everything goes in cycles and things will improve for you, just keep working at it and don't give up! :thumbsup:
I'd have to say that that is a good attitude to have. In my business we've had terrible stretches, then great ones but we always seemed to get thru somehow.
This situation will get better, I can feel it!:)

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
As they used to say back in the 30's, "there's ALWAYS a Depression". Be patient. It may take months or even years, but be patient, and make the most of what you have.
Incidentally, I make 40% less than I did 2 years ago, and the cost of living has gone up 13% since then. :eek:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
My wife taught me the most important thing: always pay off the credit card on time.

It may be very difficult to affect what's going on "out there", but we can sure affect what's going on inside the house.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
My wife taught me the most important thing: always pay off the credit card on time.

It may be very difficult to affect what's going on "out there", but we can sure affect what's going on inside the house.
With the exception of my house I have no debt. I was fortunaate to get rid of it all just before the bottom fell out in 2009. No credit card, no spending more than we have, weathered the storm for us. When you have recovered, I reccomend the Dave Ramsey program. We went through it at our Church, there are quite a few doing it now. Praying for you!

·
Banned
718 Posts
Well, I've been giving serious thought to building up a Mad Max car, getting a mohawk and driving around in the desert, recently... does that mean things are getting bad?

:eek:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I keep hearing that the recession is over.

How? Gas is back to 4.19 a gallon here and of course with the drought food prices are gonna go up.

I live the new American Dream. Live check to check and pray that the check does not go away, cause if it does it will be grim in our gonna be forclosed house.

Max Bryant

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Well, I've been giving serious thought to building up a Mad Max car, getting a mohawk and driving around in the desert, recently... does that mean things are getting bad?

:eek:
THAT is the LOL of the week.:thumbsup:

I need a second job myself. I'm tired of pasta.;)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Actually, my retirement plan is to sell off all my half-built model kits from the seventies!

What could go wrong? :D

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts

You have a very smart wife.....:thumbsup: My bills get paid as soon as they
come in and the credit card gets zeroed each month. Other then rent, (sold my house in 2005 at the peck and put the money in the bank) and utilities, that's it going out, everything else goes into savings except a bit for my toy fund.
If I don't have the money I don't buy whatever it is I'm looking at. It's worked
very well for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts