Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, yeah! If you've already sent your returns in and the refund wasn't applied for, then you may still file an amended return and apply for the money on it.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

From irs.gov:

"Use Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Form 1040 (PDF), Form 1040A (PDF), or Form 1040EZ (PDF). If you are filing to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original refund (you may cash that check). To avoid penalty and interest, if you owe additional tax for a current year amended return, file Form 1040X and pay the tax by April 15 of the current year."

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
turbo tax walked me through it already. What's up with this? (sorry I can't be bothered to figure out why...)

In other news I notice that job related expenses (uniforms, licensing fees) no longer help as a deduction unless they're more than 2% of your gross. And effective this year those charitable donations of clothing no longer count as a deduction if they aren't in "new" condition. (Two important issues for modellers: you can no longer deduct your IPMS fee or donations of "used" kits)

·
Starship Class
11,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve244 said:
turbo tax walked me through it already. What's up with this? (sorry I can't be bothered to figure out why...)
It seems that the IRS finally noticed that due to the different ways phones are billed and packages are bundled nowadays, they can't tax long distance phone calls separately as they've been pretending to do for several years now.

The long distance phone tax was passed in 1898 or thereabouts to "pay for" the Span Am War. For a multitude of nefarious reasons (arrogance, greed, etc.) our beloved politicians never revoked the tax. I just hope they managed to pay off the war in over a century of long distance phone call taxes. :rolleyes:

Since the IRS can no longer separate the long distance calls due to recent technology, the tax is no longer enforceable and therefore, for all practical purposes, null and void.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts