Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
That is too cool. I lost count of how many red lights he went through. ...Lovin' the sound of that engine especially when down shifting. Given the stock I would have liked to hear some more rpms upon up shifting though. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
How do you say jail in French? Yeah baby, floggin' the ponies hard through downtown. I'm sure the garbage man, the delivery driver and several bus drivers went home to scrape their drawers. Makes me wanna go get one of my hotrods outa' winter storage!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Took some BIG balls. And he lived to sell it. Leave it to the internet though- that DVD goes for @ $40 to this day.

http://www.amazon.com/Rendezvous-Claude-Lelouch/dp/6302874408

For years the rumors floated of how the footage wasn't filmed by a Ferrari at all. The truth was told by the director himself years later. It was filmed using a Mercedes Benz 6.9 in 1976 and the sounds were later added from another car. Still very cool and no special affects. :cool:

Claude Lelouch Explains 'Rendezvous' - Jalopnik

Some more info:
http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=2640522

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
oldraceral said:
I wonder what time of day that was. Must have been very early. Here's another old clip.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=640695539059738855
Apparently, seat belts and helmets are optional.
This was a great study. A sneaky little corner for sure. Watching the various suspension types unload on the subtle elevation drop at this corners exit, and the ensuing consequences was interesting. A good testimonial for early entrance braking and controlled accelleration after the apex. A couple of those guys are lucky to be alive!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Holy frijole. that last vid is NUTZ. i wonder, is that a racetrack or a public road? and what the dickens is making it so treacherous? is it that you're topping a hill (or i guess an elevation drop like you said, Bill) and turning at the same time? agreed on a BUNCH of them being lucky to have survived... I'm thinking the guy who got spat out of the greenish Beetle could have had it roll right over on him... and I'd hate to think what would have happened if the white beetle cabrio with the top down and 3 passengers had flipped like it was threatening to...

--rick

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Rick, There's obviously a little hole after that corner. Watch the suspensions stretch out trying compensate. Notice how some of the volks products navigate it successfully. They have quite a bit of suspension travel as lil' cars go. The softer set ups seem to fare better. Looks to me like the stiffer cars just skip across. When they finally find purchase is when the fun begins. There's some great driving (recoveries) here too. The guy on the motor cycle is hilarious as he carves a straight line across the runouts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ParkRNDL said:
Holy frijole. that last vid is NUTZ. i wonder, is that a racetrack or a public road?

...hehehe, no. That's the Nürburgring. A famous german
24h raceway! Also known as "green hell".

2006 i could watch the 24h event here in germany on TV
and at the same time the LeMans 24h via internet. I hope
they do it the same this year!! Two 24h races on two screens
at the same time. I love it!!!!

Kind regards, Ebi

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
ebi said:
...hehehe, no. That's the Nürburgring. A famous german
24h raceway! Also known as "green hell".

2006 i could watch the 24h event here in germany on TV
and at the same time the LeMans 24h via internet. I hope
they do it the same this year!! Two 24h races on two screens
at the same time. I love it!!!!

Kind regards, Ebi
thanks, Ebi! I've seen the Nürburgring referred to many times, but never knew anything about it, other than that it's a race course. Time to hit Google and Wikipedia to satisfy my curiosity...

on another note, Ebi, your convertible '62 Impala on the Customs thread is OUTSTANDING. i think my next project has to be to cut the roof off one of mine. I've done a '59, but I never got around to the '62...

--rick

·
Registered
89 Posts
ParkRNDL said:
thanks, Ebi! I've seen the Nürburgring referred to many times, but never knew anything about it, other than that it's a race course. Time to hit Google and Wikipedia to satisfy my curiosity...

on another note, Ebi, your convertible '62 Impala on the Customs thread is OUTSTANDING. i think my next project has to be to cut the roof off one of mine. I've done a '59, but I never got around to the '62...

--rick
Hi Rick,

you will find a lot of stuff!! The Nürburgring is a legendary track
here in Germany. Especially for fans of 24h cars it's an eldorado!!
Very very hard to drive as you already could see...

Let me know when you are going to do the Impala. I'm going to
cast the complete interior in one piece. But please don't start
tomorrow, it will take a looooong time for me to finish projects... ;)

Ebi

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
*alert* thread is stolen!!!

ebi said:
Hi Rick,

you will find a lot of stuff!! The Nürburgring is a legendary track
here in Germany. Especially for fans of 24h cars it's an eldorado!!
Very very hard to drive as you already could see...

*SNIP*
Ebi
On a sort of a weird aside to this thread. It is kind of strange to race in a game like GT4 at the Ring and then later watch actual footage filmed at the track...
It gives you a "Hey! I know that turn, I have wrecked there many times....."
:lol:
No back to your regularly scedualed thread...
Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts