Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you I've put up with all Ebay's changes, for good and bad (mostly questionable and dubious). Now that their new "reimbursement policy" requires them having access to a credit card or bank account in case someone complains about your item...well, to give them that info for THAT purpose would be to ask for a Deliverance-style screwing, if you ask me.

I know alternative sites are out there. Anybody had any luck with them? Pros/cons?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Honestly, if you want maximum exposure, the maximum amount for what you sell, etc. eBay is the way to go. I have over 1400 eBay transactions completed, and can recall only a couple "issues" I had with people that bought items from me. In those cases, the problems were sorted out to everyone's satisfaction without any great hassle in the end. Those cases too involved items damaged in transit but covered by insurance, etc. Over a 15+ year period I have sold everything from kits to clothing to a tennis ball practice machine to a Ford Mustang on eBay.

Unless someone is selling shady stuff, stuff that is just asking for a complaint, etc. I don't see where the average modeler would have much of an issue with eBay. Stuff I would avoid selling would be electronics, computers, jewelry/gems, etc.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've managed to sell some things through Bonanza. Reasonable fees, decent tools to create listings and a fairly large number of users. It's harder to sell there than eBay, though. I keep hoping it will grow, but it's hard to steer people away from eBay even though eBay is nowhere near as good a site as it was five or even 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the stuff I sell isn't models; I sell them pretty rarely. Mostly other vintage-y whatnot.

Thanks to all for the input, will check out all leads.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I've seen listings on my local CraigsList for some items sold at reasonable asking prices. Benefits of this is you can meet the person locally in a neutral public place and get cash or payment right away. Even if you ship it to them, odds are it will be minimal cost.

I found a replacement backing for my damaged iPad on a Salt Lake City CraigsList, and I'm in Pa. The seller shipped it to me after I paid with Paypal, and it only cost 4 bucks to send. If they hadn't followed thru, I could have gotten payment refunded thru Paypal. Was a good experience.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
Scorp. :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts