Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, I have almost 5 weeks of work in this and still have several more to go. This is an amazing kit! Lots of details and a real challenge to paint. It is a true testament to the talent of Bill Lemon as a sculptor. - Denis

Attachments

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Nice work so far, are you using an airbrush?
The yellow on the saddle blanket needs to be toned down a bit, the trick is to mix your blue with a wash mixture using thinner then spray from a distance.
I did that on mine, the sash is fine though.See pic.

Randy

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have to wait till this gets reissued but do have a few ?? if you dont mind ?? how do you go about painting a kit like this as far as the yellow on the saddle the sleeves and pants this really confuses me could you shine a little light on it for me by the way GREAT BUILD SO FAR thanks

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the kind comments!

Randy - Yes I'm using a Badger 150 and an Iwata HP-C airbrushes. I really like the blue wash/spray idea!! Thank you, I'll try that. Any other words of wisdom?? They are appreciated!

Roadflea - Look up Buzzconroy's thread on his Confederate Raider WIP. He addresses some of the steps. Very helpful. I sprayed the yellow first and then hand painted the blue on the saddle blanket then, masked and airbrushed the saddle areas. The same for the pants, airbrush the yellow, then mask and spray the dk blue for the pants and finally mask and spray the center of the yellow stripe. I sprayed the sleeves light gray first and then hand painted the details yellow. Very time consuming. But well worth it.

- Denis

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
This model can be painted be painted with alot detail,for example , the high spot on the sleeve patterns, can be alighter yellow, and darker under the arm adding with a spec of brown, being very sublte, using an airbrush, i had masked the embrodery on the sleeves, then tidy up with a hand brush.
I also weathered the boots very lighty, using weathering powder.The horse is the highlight right now, those colors will work well;
Any questions and model tips be free to email me Denis.

Randy

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
It's coming along great Denis!:thumbsup: I can't wait to see it once you've finished.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Love the pinstriping on the sleve and the stripes on the saddle are excellent too.

Makes me wonder what would have happened historically if the South had won.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts