Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the compliments.
Batman thats a polar lights in background, was comparing it to the original, I gave it to my nephew actually.Just have one, took me 15 years to find one, man its scarce.
 

·
Lifetime Quacka
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
YEAH!!! THat is really cool! I hate to ask what you had to sacrifice for this original (arms? legs? a kidney maybe?) So this is what the original aurora molded colors were on this baby, eh? very neat to see one. Glad you took the before pictures. The finished model looks great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Dan ,Beck and Duckfink for the great compliments,Yeah its cost me stupid money, but its trying to find one is the problem, btw the thronester is rarer than the gocart Imho, I am doing the wolfmans wagon now, its the last monster rod to do.This is the most tedious glue bomb I have encountered, once the paint was remove, the glue globs were all over, running down the eye, the motor was just a pool of glue, anyway its all restored, its all behind me.

Randy
 

·
Lifetime Quacka
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
Not to take away form the main topic but I am wondering how YOU cleaned up the glue globs and got the thing disassembled. How far down did you have to take it apart? Or did it stay mostly together? Just working on a couple of rebuilds myself and ran into some tough spots. Mine took a lot of gentle but firm prying, cutting, etc. Every tough spot I ran into was unique.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I soaked all the parts in scalecoat a model paint remover, I was able to get all the parts apart, as it made the glue brittle,the engine halves were welded, so they stayed together, it took me a year off and on going through lots of blades, to gently shatter the brittle glue, it all came off, without damaging detail, except the motor and exhaust pipe, where I had to carve the pieces put of a hard plastic, my froend lent me his original gocart , so I could repair the deform parts.I used a dremel tool for carving. Its was very trdious, but this grail was worth all the blood sweat and tears.
Randy





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Madcap

The polar lights version had 2 parachute straps, the fish has a hook to attach
to frame, the visor seems different,the helmet stripes were just one strip , the
helmet straps were completly different.Also PL added more face detail, the face
is wider on the PL, PL motor was chromed,also the teeth are wider on the PL,
remmeber Pl is a recast off of the original, reverse engineering, so there is
some shrinkage, hope this helps.Oh yeah the part numbers are diffrent.

Randy
 

·
Lifetime Quacka
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
A lot of neat info here on this kit. I will have to remember that scalecoat makes the glue brittle. I usually use oven cleaner but I think it was you (Buzz) that told me a while back that you had trouble with some older kits melting when using that stuff. Got lucky with my Flypoggers, They cleaned up well with oven cleaner and no malted plastic. Thanks for posting all of the pics too. That is real nice to see it in this condition.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top