Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have begun work on a TOS-era bridge that will be equipped with the Outer Space Outfitters light panels.

I started the build by selecting the Weapons Station and cutting out the lower viewscreens. I drilled holes in the viewscreens, then used an Xacto knife to connect the holes and cut out most of the plastic. Now, with room to work, I used the Xacto knife to cut down closer to the raised border of each viewscreen. I finished off each hole with small metal files and a sandpaper stick. The plastic was thick, but not brittle despite the age of the kit.

I accidentally marred the underside of the piece that overhangs the smaller viewscreens when I tried to work from the backside while clearing out the lower viewscreens. Won't make that mistake again.

Here is the Weapons Station with all the viewscreens cut out. I was able to use a different tool to cut the upper screens out (one of those linoleum cutter style blades) instead of drilling holes, but I still finished off with Xacto knife, metal files, and a sandpaper stick.

Finally, I taped some random lighting panels behind the opened viewscreens just to see what they look like.

I played around with shining a flashlight through the panels from the back just to see how that would look and it looks like the panels will "light up" quite nicely.

I plan to complete this station through painting (and perhaps lighting with LEDs) before starting on any of the others, simply to work through any problems with the process before I repeat it on all the other stations.

Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks terrific! I must have inspired you!

Are you going to paint it like I did?
Seeing your build-up did help me decide to work on this next, yes. I'm just finishing up my 1:350 Enterprise refit and was trying to decide which project to do next. (The OSO light panels for this came in before the Galileo panels I won on eBay so that helped too.)

I'm going to prime and paint this piece first chance the weather allows. In the meantime, I have LOTS of viewscreens to open up...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Awesome work, Fozzie! I'll be following your build with interest!

I have my TOS DN to work on, several other scaled TOS ships that will go with it plus get back the 1/350 Refit for the contest in May of this year. I've got a couple of Bridge kits in storage, but it will probably be Spring before I can get them. Don't know how much snow is out there in the shed where those are at plus no idea when I can get out there. And how much it MIGHT snow before then!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looking good so far Fozzie! I will be following your build with a lot of interest, as I just ordered the Outerspace Outfitter panels myself. I am not sure if I will use them all however. I am trying to decide how accurate I want to be and the OSO displays are accurate to the kit and not the actual set...still yet, I think they look great so I may sacrifice some accuracy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks good! I started mine last year and re-built the turbo lift to proper specs and have re-aligned the whole thing to original specs. A lot of work but it pays off in looks.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's say you build a "full bridge" with all the stations in place. Taking MadCap's idea of using screws to attach the stations to the deck plating one step further, how well do you think it would work to put some of those powerful magnets instead of screws so you could easily pop out some of the "extra" stations so you could get a good side look at the bridge?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The magnets should work, but you'd have to counter sink them so as not to leave too much of a gap between pannel and floor.
Agreed. I haven't decided to whether or not I want to do a full bridge or not, but I know that if I do, I will want to be able to remove a section or two to get a better look inside at times.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I was thinking that if you were to use machine screws or nuts and bolts with washers and drill through holes in the base/panels at exactly the same location per panel, that you could remove panels and still maintain the tension needed to hold them tightly to the base.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I suppose you could mount strong magnets on the backside of each floor panel allowing the pieces to sit flush with each other. Nice work on all the TOS bridge builds.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Your bridge should look great when it's finished. JOOC, about how long did it take to cut out all those viewscreen openings for one station? And are you planning to cut out the vent openings under the control panels as well, and insert some screen or mesh material?
. . . I haven't decided to whether or not I want to do a full bridge or not, but I know that if I do, I will want to be able to remove a section or two to get a better look inside at times.
Just like the real set, which was built in ten "wild" sections to facilitate shooting from different angles.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your bridge should look great when it's finished. JOOC, about how long did it take to cut out all those viewscreen openings for one station? And are you planning to cut out the vent openings under the control panels as well, and insert some screen or mesh material?Just like the real set, which was built in ten "wild" sections to facilitate shooting from different angles.
Cutting out the viewscreens didn't take that long. Did it on and off over the course of an evening so I can't really say. Coupla hours, maybe?

Been working on cutting out the odd shapes for the control panel, however, and that has been a total pain. Will have to figure out a better way of doing it than I did this first time...! (Pictures to come.)

Yes, I have been toying with the idea of cutting out the vents and putting mesh there. I want to re-check my TOS Blu-rays to get a good look at the mesh and then check out what my local hobby shop has that might work. I think that would look really cool...!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A small update tonight as I finished up the cutting out of the console.

First, I placed the template over the console.

I cut out the black areas with my knife, scoring the plastic underneath.

Cutting out the console was a royal pain because I went about it all wrong. I tried doing it simply by using my knife and drag blade. Things didn't get better until I abandoned that approach and went back to drilling out a series of holes. Much faster and easier.

I didn't pretty these holes up as much as I did the viewscreens because it isn't necessary. The light up panel goes behind the viewscreen holes, but in front of the console holes.

I took this holding the console up so that the light shines through from the back. It is a little hard to see, but you can just see how only the portions underneath all the console buttons is being illuminated.

Weather here is going to prevent me from painting this like I planned, so I'll move on to cutting out the next bridge station.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
And it would look cool to have a very subtle light source behind the mesh to suggest the circuitry glowing. We see behind the mesh in one episode where Uhura is making alterations to communications.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts