Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im about to start going through my cars, there all in boxes In varies rooms in the house... I have a pic in the diecast section i posed a few days ago of one area in the house.

Just wondering what are some ways people have organized there collection or a good way to keep track of everything?

This will take me forever but i have to start tonight, any direction will help
thanks

MoparMarc

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
What scale and are they open or boxed (or carded) ?
I have mine in cabinets, 1/3 of one is First Gear Trucks, a shelf for Soda Trucks, one for Wreckers ect, the other 2/3 is 1/24 Drag Cars, 3 Funny car shelves and 2 Dragster, by year.
Another 4 cabinets I have 1/18 in by years and make except for Hot Rods and Customs that have their own area as do vintage Indy and Drag cars.
The only carded or boxed cars I display are special ones that I have been given that mean something to me.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What I have done so far is to put the cars on display on shelves. I have Gorilla racks, book cases and boxes. Nothing on the walls as of yet. LOL

The rest are in boxes.

Unfortuantely I'm probably in the same predicument that you are.

I have some in display cases, some in their original boxed sets, but most are just boxed up and put away into storage.

I do not have any trains, Planes, or ships (Naval and Space) on display yet.

I have some trucks on display but there are a lot boxed up.

When I get a bigger place, I will show more of them off.
I hope this gives some idea.
Richard

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have anywere to desplay then for now, so they are all in JL boxes that i get from the retailers. there mostly all 1/64

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Wow, thats a lot of JLs!
I used to have my JLs hung on the wall shingle style (overlaping so just the blister shows) by series, it was ok.
The best way Ive seen is a pegboard with hooks long enough for a series of cars, you can easily change your display that way.
Someone had a pic of a cool 4 sided rack with pegs on it a week or so ago too.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Are looking to catalog them also?

Some people here have come up with some computer related databases for cataloging and what not. There is a simple program from Microsoft Works that will let you make your own data base and catalog them.
There is the write them down in a notebook method and some are trying to use Microsoft SQL and some other programs.
This topic has been discussed on the JL board quite abit.
I would recommend putting all of those little boxes into bigger ones (ie Tote boxes or Moving boxes) and keep out the ones you want to display.
Pehaps get a bookcase or small curio cabinet to put cars on.
Just some ideas.
Richard

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a long term goal of building some cabinets to hold my cars. It will include lighting on the shelfs and small light boxes in the back section to place various logo's to match whatever cars are in that section.

For now, my 1/18th cars are piled against the wall for now. It looks a lot like a hobby shop. I have them separated into different catagories. North American and Imports are separated and this is broken down farther into year make and model. A few are taken out and placed on book shelfs, while some of my 1/24th scale ones are still in there boxes but on books shelfing.

My smaller HW's and other blister packaged ones and stored in a rubbermaid storage bin but I have a list of it's contents to tell me what is stored in it.

About 100 of my 1/24th scale cars are stored in some of my kitchen cabinet's in a very originized manner. Since I am single, I have the final say as to where things are placed.

I can send some pictures how I have this collection set-up. My e-mail is [email protected]. The display is a work in progress but aren't all collections!! :jest:

R

·
0 Posts
stevbike said:
. Since I am single, I have the final say as to where things are placed.

:jest:
I knew that the minute you said they were in your kitchen cabinets... I can put my cars pretty much where I want if its in a case, but not a chance I could put them in the kitchen cabinets!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I keep all mine in either individual display cases or in my display cabinets. I currently have 100+ 1/18 models and I got tired of always cleaning them. :)

-Eric
Exotic118.com

Here are a few pics of my models that I took this weekend. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have mine open and put them in those 48 car "car garages" that you can get at Wal-Mart. I put them in with their series and catalogue them both in my database and my website html. That's what the little number on the bottom right means, if anyone was curious. It is very helpful if I have a question about a car, or just want to look at them. I also try to put series together, too, like all 3 Thunderbird releases are in the same case, which is shared with the VW's, etc. I do the best I can with Cover Cars and Classic Gold, since they are continuing series.

·
Registered
587 Posts
well, i just hung pegboard in my room, went to home depot and bought a sheet and now the cornor of my room looks like wal mart lol :thumbsup: ,

pegboard..... $12

peg hooks...... .57 cents each

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wyatt, You're all over it!

Wyatt said:
I have mine open and put them in those 48 car "car garages" that you can get at Wal-Mart. I put them in with their series and catalogue them both in my database and my website html. That's what the little number on the bottom right means, if anyone was curious. It is very helpful if I have a question about a car, or just want to look at them. I also try to put series together, too, like all 3 Thunderbird releases are in the same case, which is shared with the VW's, etc. I do the best I can with Cover Cars and Classic Gold, since they are continuing series.
That's exactly how I have mine stored. In the 48 car carry garages from WM.
Open, but in mint condition. I know its sacriligious to open the packages (OH NO!!!!!) but I dont like to just look at them, aren't they to play with and enjoy also. Also stored as close to possible by series, dating to the first Muscle Cars series. Im just getting the software program from ebay to electronically keep track of the cars. Its called Matchbox Toy Car Inventory and you can find it in the Johnny Lightning auctions. Im excited about it. It looks very comprehensive. Also, I only collect the 1/64th scale and they dont take up the room of the larger scales. Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
for the carded ones i use a thumbtack thru the peg-hole to hang them on the wall. i have a few different kinds of display cases for some of the loose cars. the rest are scattered on shelves until i get more display cases.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts