Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
I finally found one of these myself after searching for awhile, started to think that maybe they were as rare as the real Troopers on Oregon State highways.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You're not traveling to the east enough, always waiting for us Idahoians between Ontario and the Dalles... Or when heading to Bend.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Judging from what I've seen, they have an easy job - first, Oregon has a ridiculous speed limit - 55 - and second, the traffic is so heavy you can't even travel that - last time we traveled through Oregon on I-5 the traffic was so heavy you couldn't go over 45 anywhere, and it wasn't any better when we crossed over by Mt. Hood and went back down 97 - it's just as crowded all the way to Bend. After that we turned off and headed southeast so I don't what 97 was like from Bend to the California border but I have no reason to believe it was any better. Oregon also hasn't done any significant upgrades or road expansions in over 40 years (I-5 was essentially the same road I traveled 40 years ago) even as the population has grown. I used to be a proud Oregonian, but not anymore. The place has gotten too weird.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Our roads do stink. Yesterday morning I-84 (the Banfield) in Portland was one long parking lot from downtown all way back to Gresham, about some 12 miles. And I agree about I-5, especially between Portland and Salem and down to Eugene. Our roads have not kept up with the population, in some places, like out in the suburbs, developments with hundreds of homes are served by country farm roads from 70+ years ago. And try driving to the coast from the valley, 2 lane roads with a couple of spots where they widened them to 4 lanes so a couple of cars can pass some slow moving motorhome. As with everything now days money is an issue, but not only that, there has to be environmental studies looking at the impact on everything from animals to plants to air quality, and then if some environmental group objects to improving a road they can tie it up for years. And our speed limits are ridiculous, as if we'd be careening out of control if we drove any faster. But then we can't pump our own gas either because we might blow up the gas station and everything around it. :freak:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts