Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My modified coupe sorta got lost in the wake of the roadster.

In between goo applications on the roadster the coupe was blocked in 1500 and 2000 and resprayed several times in it's original yellow color. It's easier to chase flaws when you stick with one color. The original pus yellow looked pretty good...... but it really wasn't tripping my trigger.

I while back I diced up all my scrap bods and made half a dozen different colored jars of spray able goo. One of the bods was an unsalvagable, brutally crushed orange AFX Mopar of some sort that I'd already gashed the fenders out of for an upcoming project.

I almost shot the coupe in olive for the old school color scheme. Boy am I glad I backed off and waited.

The pics below reflect around ten coats of orange goo. I goes down a lot like the lacquers of old. A good wet coat and short wait in between as it flashes really fast. This was the first attempt at a complete color change. It's still a bit of cheat as yellow and orange are related on the color chart.

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Sweet!

Bill,
Looks great . I'll send you my address so you can send it over when your finished,

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Dave

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Glad you like it Wes! :)

They didnt make a lot of orange cars way back in the day.

Think I found a new source for orange goo. The orange dime a dozen bridge risers look real promising.

I'm gonna be melting down some track for black, old vibe controllers for the early gray, green, and tan. The daredevil accessory ramps look good for a more lemony yellow. What could possibly go wrong? ;) Aurora made all that stuff from the same jug.

Here's a pic of the deuces. The coupe needs a few more block outs with coats in between. Of course there's a big booger on the roof that the camera hides! :rolleyes:

Thanx rr! No worries Dave. You'll get yours. I'm gonna start another coupe pretty soon. Joez said he'd like to cast the coupe as well. Great news! I'm excited.

I'll have three different schemes going this time. I'm short on the older Aurora scrap plastic at the moment. Quite a bit coming up on the bay pretty soon. Please stay tuned. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wow, Bill!

It's beautiful! This colour-changing/top coat thing is the cat's pajamas!
So Smoooth...and glossy!

I will email you with some pics soon on some things I'm comtemplating doing.

Please tell me what colour plastics you are short off, and I may be able to accomadate-

Your work is top shelf all the way, Sir! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers..

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the high praise Boss!

I think I'm finally on the right track with the whole spray styrene gig. It was time to s#*t or get off the pot. A major hurdle has been passed in that I've found the formula's middle ground so to speak.

I decided to roll the dice. That silly roadster had been blocked so many times that if I fouled it up it up, one more sanding wouldn't kill me! I'm generally pretty cautious but eventually the gambler in me takes over.

It takes quite a few coats. So most of the "oh craps" and "where did that come from" were blocked off in the intermediate coats. After the learning curve on the roadster I just hauled off and blasted the coupe to get the color changed. I'll scuff her at least one more time.

As to my plastic needs, I'll take all the Vibe and T-jet colors except tan. For the short run I'm in need of standard blue, green, red, yellow, turquoise, white and black. I'm not picky!

I'll also be needing more of the AFX orange just cuz I think it's a nice shade, and orange is a color lacking in most T-jet collections. I'm dreaming of purple too, although Aurora's tone was a little too red for my eye. Nothing a dash of blue wouldn't fix. ;)

That being said Boss, the last batch of "J" cars you sent were good runners and shouldn't be sectioned for parts or chipped up for goo! The current plan seems to be moving towards a workable vat of every color. I section out the panels or shapes I think I'm going to need and the rest gets chipped and bagged. The chips get added if a new batch is required or the batch gets over reduced by some knucklehead. If the stuff drys out you just reactivate it. :thumbsup:

I'll thank you for your generosity in advance, and I'll even the score shortly! :tongue:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Sprayable "Billrene".....I am still so amazed! Great thinking on the orange plastic supply! Look at the nitch you have created for yourself, eh! Now, what I am wondering....will this stuff stick to a resin body? Hmmmm............

I prattled on in the other thread, Bill, but I have to say it some more. These cars are just plain beautiful.....*drool*

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
joez870 said:
Sprayable "Billrene".....I am still so amazed! Great thinking on the orange plastic supply! Look at the nitch you have created for yourself, eh! Now, what I am wondering....will this stuff stick to a resin body? Hmmmm............*snip*
Good question Joe! I've got a '55 Belair in that nasty, greasy feeling resin. If it sticks to that it'll stick to anything. Consider it sprayed next batch.

Bill

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bill-

You melt down plastic and spray it onto cars? How do you get the plastic thin enough to spray? What do you thin it with? Also, what happens to your sprayer? I assume that the plastic has got to be cleaned out asap or you willl have permanent damage to sprayer parts.

I am amazed at the techniquies that you come up with.

Jim

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T-jetjim said:
Bill-

You melt down plastic and spray it onto cars? How do you get the plastic thin enough to spray? What do you thin it with? Also, what happens to your sprayer? I assume that the plastic has got to be cleaned out asap or you willl have permanent damage to sprayer parts.

I am amazed at the techniquies that you come up with.

Jim
Hi Jim, :wave:

Thin the brushable goo with Testor's.
Strain it.
Spray it.
Clean up with laquer thinner.
Nuthin' to it! ;)

Bill

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still playin with this one

My Plastruct "pipes" project was originally fueled by the fact that all my Deuces looked kinda nekid without pipes. Got several mockups made for the various cars and I've settled on this version for the original orange Coupe.

They are pinned through the rocker panel in similar fashion to the original Aurora hotrod pipes. They'll get some Alclad when I've got enough misc. pieces to make loading the airbrush up worthwhile.

Finally got around to mounting the glass too. :rolleyes:

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smokem if ya gottem

Thanks Nuther.

The modified Lola T-330 pipes that were originally slated for this build got scrapped. Toooooo brittle! As the forward rocker had been relieved to accomadate the Lola pipes I was stuck. D'oh! This set was a real pain in the neck cuz they had to conform to an existing screw-up!

Nah, I let the Prince out years ago, but my refrigerator is still runnin'! :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts