First of all, a heads-up.

Six M2 Machines Clearly Auto-thenics, Release 2:
1951 Ford Crestliner
1953 Oldsmobile 98
1954 Chevrolet Bel-Air
1954 Mercury Sun Valley
1955 Pontiac Star Chief
1957 Ford Fairlane

are available for only a buck a piece at Dollar Tree stores!!!!

Now what are your thoughts about the "Clearly Auto-thentics" in general? Do you collect them? If so, why? If not, why?
What very small thing(s) could be done to them by M2 to make them better?

Personally, I picked all six of these up, yet I still have mixed feelings toward them. Since the bodies are apparently plastic, repainting them is an option, although it would be quite difficult to retain the small highlight details, like hood emblems, etc.. And would this be worth the effort when the diecast versions are already available, albeit at a higher price obviously.

Also, the package clearly states "rubber tires". Yet they are translucent and that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

What are your thoughts and feelings about these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think they are great for customizing and I'm surprised the HO Slot car guys ahaven't worked with these plastic bodies yet.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
At a buck a piece I would snag them just for customs!

The cars themselves. I would enjoy having a few in my collection if they were clear bodied, I don't like the colored plastic as much, and I wouldn't want a large part of my collection dedicated to these either. But they definitely are cool as a novelty.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
If I could find them at a Dollar Tree in my area for a buck a piece I would buy several of them. I passed on them when they were hanging on the pegs at TRU at retail price. At a buck a piece it's reasonable.

·
Registered
467 Posts
These things, along with the custom paint jobs, have pretty much stopped any fresh product from being put out in my area. They would probably move at a buck but not by me. I've already got so much stuff I really don't feel the need to store these kinds of variants. You know, when the Auto-thentics came out with the first few sets they flew off the shelves and a guy really had to scramble to get your picks. Then the "clearly" versions started choking out the flow. I've bought some things for wheels and tires but these don't really lend themselves to much except the cars they come on. If you want the colors that M2 never put out, these would be ideal for that project. Trim and badges would be a little more fiddly than what I'm up to right now. I've tried reducing and printing some badges but apparently my printer isn't cutting it.
Thanks for asking.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
It was nice to have one for a novelty but not complete series. I think M2 should have made the clear cars the chase cars.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I'll buy all I can find of certain models. I've been using them for customs, and because the bodies are plastic they are much easier to work with than metal bodies. It's very easy to make a convertible from a hardtop, or to remove 'some' of the side molding, or to remove fender skirts. Wanna make a hole in the hood for a blower to stick out, well it's a whole lot easier with a plastic hood. I think some of these plastic bodies are fine candidates for sectioning too, although I haven't tried that, yet. And because the body is plastic, using a plastic model car filler paste is easy to work with and to sand smooth. So many great possibilities! Bring 'em on!

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
For a buck I'd buy some and try painting them a color corresponding to the clear color and shoot them from the underside thus leaving all the trim details intact. It would either look terrible or be a cool effect. For regular price, I would let them warm the peg.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
If I could find them at a Dollar Tree in my area for a buck a piece I would buy several of them. I passed on them when they were hanging on the pegs at TRU at retail price. At a buck a piece it's reasonable.
Stutz said it well for me, except I wouldnt buy very many... I'd pay a buck for a few of them for parts cars or customs to repaint... I think the transparent bodys are goofy... Maby if they had some serious detail to see under the bodys... Like the old "Visiable V8" model motor... I just fail to see the interest in them !!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Since I am not interested in doing my own customs, I have no interest in them from that standpoint.

I love some of the subject matter of M2 because they do cars from my "impressionable era" when I was 5-10 years old and just starting to notice the various car designs on the road. Sept. was a magic month when the new cars came out, and the 2-tone 57 Fords, for instance, take me back there in my mind.

But even though I have all the other M2 series' 57 Fords I have passed on these clear and tinted 57's at FD for a buck because they have no nostalgic value at all.

I have been checking thru them only in the hopes of finding a totally clear chase, which has already happened once at another "second time around" store where I found the clear Merc.

I did buy 2 yesterday, however. I had my 6 yr old grandson spend the day with me. Because he had seen my clear M2 chases on my wall and told me he wanted one, I took him to FD and bought him a couple clears (non-chases of course) and wouldn't you know also found a Super Hunt 53 Chevy on the pegs there because they just started stocking HW's.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Checked out a Dollar Tree in the mall today and sure enough there were a boat load of HWs and M2 clearly authentics. Definitely worth a dollar.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For a Buck

Picked up a set at a DT north of me but the smaller one in town still has Zip.
For a buck they're OK. Saw some newer regulars at Target so there is hope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts