Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I do not have a full basement in my home (raised ranch, finished lower level) and no spare rooms my only option is basically the garage. I live in western NY where the summers max around 90 and the winters get cold and snowy.

I turned my garage basically into "my area" this past year. I finished the walls a bit (not insulated though) and cleaned it up. When my two monte carlos are not in there it is one of my "hang out spots" and I also do car detailing as a part time side business.

I have the back wall empty & reserved where my collection used to be when it was smaller. Most of all my cars are carded and are in protecto-paks. Do you see any adverse reactions to hanging them in my garage? I'm not too worried about the coldness more of the heat and humidity. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
There have been some discussions on here recently about cars showing bad cracks and basically crumbled away after a few runs through hot and cold weather because they didn't have room to expand and shrink as many materials naturally do, so they just broke. The other issue might be the plastic of the blister, issues like yellowing over time, drying out, hardening etc.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i would get a thermometer that reads humidity and see how much humidity develops when it rains. if its high humidity all the time i would not risk it. but if its not high humidity the heat or cold should have no negative effect on the cars or the cards. think of it, the cases of cars sit in a warehouse or a truck for a while so they have no temperature control most of the time. if anything could get a small heater to keep running in there during the cold times. or could just save up and insulate and finish the garage.

cool to see another detailer on the forums! that is what i do. are you the normal detailer or a OCD detailer like myself? and are you on any of the detailing forums?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I would not do it until you weather-proofed your garage a little more. Insulate it and then at least run a dehumidifier in the summer and a heater in the winter. Not enough heat to keep it warm but just enough to keep it like in the 40's or so.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
weather will effect the paint and other things on the cars.paint will crack,if there are rr wheels they will shrink or melt,tempos will peel and plastic will malform.until you climate control it do not store your cars there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live about 30 miles east of you .I have an above grade wood garage and can store cars in totes ok.I would worry about you with exposed cardboard and any water from detailing or storeing car in winter.or even rodent damage

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Greetings from Watertown,NY!! I have my cars displayed some open some still in the package in my back room of the house which is neither heated or cooled and have no problems with my collection. Well other than its been to HUMID to paint all summer long!!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
the biggest problems with degrading blisters is HEAT and HUMIDITY. I've had my collection near Penfield NY in storage for the past 3 years and I haven't found any problems (yet). I have most stored in the Plano Molding 'garage" storage boxes (48 cars per case). Also have thousands of promo pieces by Racing Champions on blister cards in tote buckets. Non are exposed to direct sunlight unless I am working in the unit to either add or subtract from the collection. I would stay away from cardboard boxes especially near the garage doors. Some snow got through the doors and my card board boxes within 5 feet from the "leak" all collapsed due to the moisture weakining the glue and cardboard. I'd be worried about getting any liquid from the car detailing on your collection.. Dust is also a killer once it gets burned into the plastic display clam shells. Dust free as much as possible is he way to go.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I like sharing this picture as it's a great reminder for everyone to store your Cars in a safe place with low humidity & mid heat ....

Have all your cars in a controlled environment for future enjoyment, so you will not have anything like the pics below

I purchased 100+ Cars 3 years ago online fro ma Pawn Shop in Chicago IL and when I received them, 1/2 of them were in the condition below.
I contacted the seller and explained my problem with pictures and the seller made good on giving back 1/2 of my funds that I paid.

Us older collectors know RC were not all that great back in the day, but the price was right and when I received the Cars I understood why
the price was right. They were all mostly junk all clamshelled up. It all worked out at the end though with getting back 1/2 of my funds.

Store your Cars in a safe place so you will not be disapointed when you find something like this hangin on your wall or stored in a tote.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I am obviously fearful of any damaging effects. I made the investment to protect them all. Not many at all because of value but because it's my collection and I like them. Most of all my cars are in protecto-paks. So it's not the dust or chemicals I worry about it's the "what I can't see".

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
i bought a lg lot of MB white rose nascar a few months back and more than half i got the rubber wheels shrunk up and malformed.the seller tried to play games and insted of giving me my money back for the cars i told him about he ended up giving me more money back than i had ask for:).i would never risk putting my cars in anyplace that was not climate controled

1 - 15 of 15 Posts